This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: New member from Illinois  (Read 4936 times)

writer78

New member from Illinois
« on: August 15, 2007, 07:34:13 PM »
hi all,

I'm a 29 year old Chicago area woman, new to the forum.  I found this forum via the Reenactor Fest section, from a link on the Reenactor Fest site.

I've been attending renaissance faires as a playtron since 2002.  I also attend Civil War reenactments, just as an audience member, when I can.  2005 was my "Summer of War," when I went to as many as I could; I got a littled warred-out for a while after that, but now I'm getting interested again.  I've been to a couple rev war events - once as a guest reenactor, thanks to some neat folks who I met at Reenactor Fest - and I went to my first WWII event this summer.

I am a writer, and I'm currently rewriting the first draft of a novel about a renaissance faire.  I am constantly in search of fiction about reenactors - I've read Meet John Trow, Last of the Dixie Heroes, a few CW murder mysteries, even a Buffy novel set in part at a ren faire. 

I'm also interested in portrayals of reenactors in TV and film - I recently watched Battle of Shaker Heights and an episode of Psych set at a CW reenactment.

Anyone who knows of fiction, TV episodes, or movies about reenactors, please let me know!  I'm fascinated by how we're portrayed in stories, and I want to create new novels and short stories about us.  I get frustrated when we're relegated to being a colorful background for a murder mystery or the jumping off point for fantasy and sci fi, and of course it's worst when we're portrayed as weird or reenacting is portrayed as wrong or unhealthy.

I'm looking forward to learning more about all of you and finding new opportunities to get into other types of reenacting.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Re: New member from Illinois
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:25 PM »
Welcome and I am sure you will not have any problems getting information from those here on the forum
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline tleve

• Reenactor
    • the living history alliance
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:39:27 PM »
hey ,

welcome to the boards , make sure you check them all out you never know what you will find. Also there is a CSI ( I don't remember the ep. number but i will try and find it were most of the story is about a reenactor . It is one of my fav.
" No Good Deed Goes Unpunished "

Offline cheekyactress

• Passion for History...no matter what time it is!
  • Reenactor
  • Member:Archangel Crew & Kishwaukee VVC Wild West
    • The Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:52:01 PM »
Anyone who knows of fiction, TV episodes, or movies about reenactors, please let me know!  I'm fascinated by how we're portrayed in stories, and I want to create new novels and short stories about us.

I'm looking forward to learning more about all of you and finding new opportunities to get into other types of reenacting.

Hi writer78!

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a site that may interest you, though it isn't strickly about reenactors per say, this movie did use local (Midwest Civil War Groups) to help with the production. 

http://www.sigourneypress.com/LoveValorFilm.htm#Cast

I had the opportunity to work with some amazing people on this film.  It was quite the learning experience!  Here is some insight on what the book/movie is all about.

Love and Valor - Intimate Civil War Letters Between Captain Jacob and Emeline Ritner, edited by Charles F. Larimer is a rare and fascinating compilation of romantic and extremely articulate letters, historical reports and newspaper articles that tell a full story of the Civil War, as well as pieces of pioneer Iowa. Jacob Ritner, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, initially enlisted as part of Lincoln's first call for 75,000 volunteers, then re-enlisted and remained in Grant's and Sherman's Army of the Tennessee, all the way through to the end of the war.

Cheeky

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:02:41 PM by cheekyactress »

Offline QMSWalrus

• Boot
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »
Hi writer78,

"...Anyone who knows of fiction, TV episodes, or movies about reenactors, please let me know!..."

The first book that springs to mind is "The War Game" by Anthony Price (published in 1975/6-ish).
The book is one of his "Dr David Audley" series of novels and has his hero(es) investigating the possible funding of political subversion (and terrorism) by a "foreign power" in mid 1970s Britain, against background of English Civil War re-enactment.
It's better than my summary makes it sound. The portrayals of re-enactors (where drawn) are a trifle over drawn (IIRC*), but, shall we say, I've met some people who might have been the models ;D
The book may still be available in public libraries.

Have fun.

Tom (QMS)

* I't's a long time since I read it
God and the Soldier we adore
in time of danger - Not before
Danger past and all things righted
God's forgotten, the Soldier slighted.