This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: First Person....  (Read 15073 times)

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
Re: First Person....
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 02:01:12 PM »
Gotta say I agree wtih you, Sturmkatze.  For myself, I like to get things as "right" with my impressions as I can.  I think one of the Jarnigan brothers (of C. & D. Jarnigan sutler fame ) said, if it wasn't worth doing out in the woods by yourself, it wasn't worth doing.  But it is kind of a nice spillover if the public DOES take enough interest to get more involved & curious to read into the subject.  --And THOSE are the people I'm glad to talk with.  But like you inferred, I too, do this hobby for my own enjoyment primarily.  If I'm getting it "right", and it engages outsiders, that's cool, too.
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 04:40:49 PM »
No problem on the rant ;D.  We all come to this hobby from different aspects, I suppose.  I have always had the public in mind first, then personal enjoyment second.  That in itself is changing, though, since I've stopped working in the field of history and do it only as a hobby now.  Rockman (my hubby) and I have been invited to a few 18th c. dinners that were only for the enjoyment of the participants (no public).  I'll be the first to admit, I think we were invited because my hubby does an EXCELLENT first person, myself... I have difficulty getting into it, but I try.  I like to think I'm invited for my sparkling personality and sharp wit ;)
As for the cryer from the previous forums...if you're an arschloch in real life, you'll be an arschloch in first person...can't be helped... laws of the universe and all... >:D
the flamingos are my minions.

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
Some people forget it's a hobby. I asked one of these self-proclaimed leader a-holes once "Why don't you court martial me then" he didn't like it when I pointed out there was no Uniform Code of Reenactor Justice :-0 We're all here because we love history and we all go about it differently. I like FP. Some don't. I'm sort of AR about my impression, but it isn't my job to police the reenacting world. :P
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
My unit calls me Brainy Smurf, does that count?   ;D

Robb

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
For me and the squad there is a time to do 1st person impression and times not too. Around public at local displays it is very hard doing a show and tell being in 1st Person. For parades we do 1st person impression. Sad thing our squad is the only militray unit in many local parades now.
 For good tacticals and battles we stay in 1st person impression. Taking good hits is this type of impression. Being militray for a day we all can live with it. At Dunkirk I tried my best to keep the event both militray and fun at the same time for all the units who were there. For future events I hope to do the same with more help. ( For Robb, send me youe mailing address so I can get a DVD out to you from the Invasion event.)
 We truly need to start a WW 2 1st Person Impression event like we did in CW at Rockton Ontario and in Brush Creek, PA. This event would really show you a true way of traveling back in time. It would stay with you for the rest of your life. I am willing to help run it but don't have  manpower to pull it off. Two host units would be needed Axis and Allied.
 If you like on day can tell you more about it.

Pat 99th I.D.,  Erie,PA
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"