This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Newbie from Indiana  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Codybear

• Boot
Newbie from Indiana
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:55:12 AM »
Hello everyone.  Another newbie here.  I live in southern Indiana.  My family and I enjoy all types of reenacting and would attend any event if we could but my particular favorites are Colonial/revolutionary and Middle ages.  I love learning and researching new hobbies so I am very glad to be here.  Who knows, with a little luck, maybe i can participate. 

Offline MasterFoust

• Boot
    • FEDeration X- Scenario Paintball Team
Re: Newbie from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »
I just joined up here myself, living in Indiana near Cincinnati.  Your biggest Southern Indiana event will be the Spirit of Vincennes rendezvous each Memorial Day weekend.  It's Revwar through 1812.  Another earlier event would be the Feast of the Hunter's Moon in Lafayette, IN, in the fall.

I'm trying to find some Medieval events to attend myself.  I have two young sons who are getting into living history now, and I'm wanting to find something to go to with them.  Let's keep each other informed... we Hoosiers need to stick together.  :)
Jonathan "Old Crow" Foust
Periods Currently Involved in
American Civil War
Frontier America
Medieval (Pending some purchases and tailoring)

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:09:50 PM »
Nice to meet you MasterFoust
I ran across this Medieval group while attending the Scottish Festival a couple of weeks ago here in Columbus.
I think they are based here but are members of a larger group. 
http://home.att.net/~cuilcholuim/
My daughters are just getting to the age to where I can start doing a little more with them.  And these reenactments are a GREAT way to spend a weekend. Thanks alot.

Offline MasterFoust

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:55:20 AM »
I went out and lived in the woods with my sons this summer for 22 days.  We reenacted 1807 for a grant that I was awarded.  They are 8 and 6, so they were eating it up.  We went to Renfest this past weekend in kilts and now they're all about making up a kit for Medieval reenacting.

How authentic is that SCA group?  In my experience they run a pretty wide gamut... I'm thinking about a picture that I once saw of a group fighting in sunglasses and jeans and taking a break to enjoy a nice diet Coke at one of their demonstrations.  Nothing against the whole, I just can't tell from their website how authentic they go.

American Civil War
Frontier America

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
I just seen them that weekend so I dont really know.  I think the organizing partron is pretty true to form, but like you said, maybe they run a pretty wide spectrum of participation.  Now that I think of it, I think one of the performers was wearing combat boots (US issue) and another was wearing converse.  He did mention an event that is held in New Jersey I think once a year that is pretty much a 2 day war.  Scores are tallied at the end of the weekend.  I havent been able to find anything else about it though.  Good luck on your quest with that. 
How fun that must have been in the woods. 
I really appreciate the tip on the event in LaFayette.  I am excited about that.  I have next to nothing, so I am impressionable and I hope to leave that event with much inspiration.  thanks for the heads up.  You goin?  If so, maybe we could meet up for formal introductions.

Offline MasterFoust

• Boot
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:48:48 AM »
I'm not sure.  My wife is Shawnee, and while you would think that would make here MORE likely to get into history, I guess the fact that her people kind of got screwed out of everything that they ever knew in Lafayette makes her not so keen on attending.  :-[  I've been trying to get her to go to that event for about three years now, and we never seem to make it.  The year that I attended (a long time ago!) they had a game of lacrosse going on played in native garb.  No one got their arm broken or anything, so it wasn't as authentic as it could have been (that's a joke!), but it was neat to see.  Lots of vendors and friendly people who like to talk.

I convinced her to go to Blue Licks Battlefield with me over the summer and see the spot where her G-G-G-G-G- Grandfather killed my G-G-G-G-G-Grandfather, but that (combined with living in the woods with me for a month) is probably about as much frontier history as I'll be able to squeeze out of her in a year.

Is that big event the Pennsic War?  I was reading on SCA.org about that.  I'm not much on the whole chivalry, following orders, serving the king, angle- ACW reenacting broke me of that.  I'd like to do some barbarian horde reenacting, personally.  I've been reading about the Celts, the Franks, and the Vikings.  I made a sling last night and went out in the back yard with my sons to hurl a hackey sack at each other with it.  Wicked fun.  Check out   http://www.slinging.org for some good resources on one of the oldest projectile weapons on the planet.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:16:18 AM by MasterFoust »
American Civil War
Frontier America

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:54:01 PM »
the sling sound very interesting.  I just finished reading Clan of the Cave Bear and the sling is almost a central part of the book.  Good read by the way.  I will def check it out.  More later, gotta go to work early today. >:(

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »
I reckon we are gonna take the kids and go camping in the Yellowwood state forest saturday nite.  I favor a more primitive camping atmosphere, at least in location, but hey, i gotta take what i can get.  About the only primitive spots i can find around here are sandbars on the rivers.  Anyways, hopefully i can get me a sling put together in time to harrass my youngins.  I try to do a little backpacking also so i have a tomato juice can stove i have been tinkering with and i will give it a test run.  Have a good weekend. 

Offline MasterFoust

• Boot
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:17:07 PM »
How did the trip go?

My kids have hit themselves in the head several times with the sling.  Luckily, we're using hackey-sacks to learn on.  I took one in the chest when we were playing with them.  It took me by surprise and hit a little harder than I would have expected...

...  no wonder they were the artillery of their day!
American Civil War
Frontier America

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
Had a great time as usual.  Really a nice campground for public.  Lots of trees and a great lake.  Meet some great people from up around kokomo.  Didnt get to make me a sling though.  I had a piece of real supple leather i had bought at friendship many years ago and i never could figure out what to do with it.  When i seen the sling idea, i thought it would be the perfect use for it but know i cant find the leather.  My kinda luck. 

Offline VikingSam

• Boot
    • Viking Sam and Yrsa, a viking longboat
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
Greetings!

If you are interested in the Viking Era you should contact this group:  http://www.vikingsna.org/gladsheim/  .  They are near Indianapolis and have some great folks.  They come out and play with us here at Norstead.  Check out our site we are building!

http://norstead.org/ or watch our news coverage on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLh_iTS6jqI  .

Sam
www.vikingsamonline.com
May Thor protect you until Odin collects you!