This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with either of these companies?  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Van Schoonhoven

• Boot
Anyone have experience with either of these companies?
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »
I want to start my 18th Century kit and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the following companies.  They both sell 18th cent. shoes, the same shoes it seems, which is what I wanted. I was talking with Fugawee for awhile, via email, but when it came to actually ordering the shoes, they went mia.  I haven't dealt with USHist at all.

http://www.fugawee.com/Index.htm

http://www.ushist.com/index.html

Schoons

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
Re: Anyone have experience with either of these companies?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:26:54 AM »
I can highly reccomend the firm of G. Gedney Godwin. I bought my Hessian army shoes from them in the late 80's.  --Still  have them today!  Theyv'e worn quite well and still look fit for an audience at the royal court or social genteel gathering.  I think the smooth side out model is still available.  They take a splendid shine!
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:55:13 AM »
---Oh, yes......  Silly me! I forgot to mention that they have more than just the Hessian army shoes for sale.  But a quick google to Godwin's site will make that plain......

Offline Van Schoonhoven

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion, Rockman. 

What materials were used to make the soles/heals of your shoes?  All leather or rubber?
Schoons

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »
All leather, with appropriate nailing.  If the rest of shoes are as similar in construction as mine, they'll do you a good service.  Being so constructed, should you ever wear them to the point of needing resoling or heeling, shoe repairmen LOVE to work on these types of shoes.

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
For shoes, Fugawee is the main supplier for shoes, and alot of sutlers carry fugawee shoes.  In fact, I kind of think that the ladies shoes that Godwin carries are fugawees.  I think you can pick up ladies shoes from Smoke and Fire and Smiling Fox Forge.  Also, Burnley and Trowbridge carry shoes that they have their own shoe maker produce.  I used to own a pair of fugawees, but sold them after a few wears, only because I'm not used to heels.  Townsend and son produces a shoe from a modern shoe maker (made like modern shoes, look like 18th c.) they have a rubber heel and sole and are VERY comfortable.  Hope this helps in the search.  When you're interested in handmade 18th c. shoes, ($400-$500 a pair) that are made expressly for your feet only (the measurement taking and fitting takes about half an hour) contact Brett Walker .........ask Rockman for the email address.....the wait is about 8 to 12 months, but the man does an EXCELLENT job and loves what he does :laugh:
the flamingos are my minions.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »
Ah, yes.... There is the custom made route, too.... Definitely an investment, but more often than not, it's well worth the expense in terms of comfort & wearability.  Brett's website is; www.thegentlecraft.com. We had the good fortune to be set up next to his booth at the Fort Frederick market fair this past April.  --Really a quality craftsman!