Forum > Tacticals

Behavior at Events

<< < (9/9)

battlebaby4:
Again WOW I agree what is going on here. Our squad formed over 9 years ago to get away from these same "problem childern" in Civil War. Plus add in politics  and it was time to head into the sunset.
 I hate to say over the last few years maybe alot of them came to the 1940's. I feel we'll have to do something to repair the damage to the hobby.

Pat

Sturmkatze:

--- Quote from: battlebaby4 on May 19, 2008, 10:46:59 AM ---Again WOW I agree what is going on here. Our squad formed over 9 years ago to get away from of same "problem children" in Civil War. Plus add in politics was time to head into the sunset.
 I hate to say over the last few year maybe a lot of them came to the 1940's. I feel we'll have to do something to repair the damage to the hobby.
--- End quote ---
I've thought that a lot for the last, say 10 years. CW people get burnt on their time period and come to another (WWI or WWII) and think it operates the same way. Alas, it doesn't, or didn't... it seems that some things are changing for the worse. thievery seems to be up. Chicken shite politics seems up a bit. I dunno.

I hear about units getting drunk and doing ignorant shite at events --if so, THEY need to be made to pay. Damage property, unit pays or people get banned. It seems a unit has been (or is being now) banned from FIG for having a bust of Adolf Hitler on a desk in their Stube (office)... as the unit is an W-SS one, I'd normally say "So what, period correct item..." but it seems these guys went and put a yarmulke on it, in a place where the PUBLIC could see this >:( D'OH! I mean really, it's DAMNED hard to get banned from FIG... hell, I've seen guys who's impressions make me cringe get allowed there. It really does take a lot to get the boot there. Dave Shaw wants his money by Gawd. I was told there was a big thread on this at the WW2 Proboards Forum... it seems a moderator there, willy-nilly just deleted it -- whoops! As long as people are talking in a reasonable manner and not threatening others, who cares. Discussion is good for the hobby. Attacks aren't though.

There has always been drinking at events... Hell, at my first WWII event, I got wasted-drunk (thanks to Butch Fogle's moonshine :O>@ ) and haven't done so since (hangovers hurt to much now). Anyway, I remember a bunch of us "Sieg-Heiling" in the barracks square... nowadays, I am sure this would not go over so well. It was the early 90's then. I can remember other things too... Oh well, it's WWII... during the real war, Germans did things that piss off Allies -- so do we 8) Things are a bit toned down now. However, we NEVER damaged barracks or property... That's a change and needs to be dealt with.

Chris Pittman:
I wonder if there is any truth behind the story of the reenactors painting swastikas at a site. I reenact in New England and there were some rumors going around about swastikas being painted on buildings at a particular event. And I can say with certainty, that it never happened. There were a few reenactments each year in Kingston, MA at a site that is now off-limits to the hobby. Part of the site was an abandoned cement factory and there were some abanoned sheds and outbuildings there. My unit took part in an event there last year, there was a lot of spray-painted graffiti of all kinds on these abandoned buildings including swastikas and SS runes (not painted by reenactors, bonehead kids probably). Some of the guys in my group were out there after the battle spray-painting over some of that graffiti, they also spray-painted our unit emblem out there. The land owner was not happy with the Nazi graffiti but that had nothing to do with the reenactors, this was a site in suburban Massachusetts and not in the middle of nowhere, after all. I certainly agree that reenactors should not be spray painting anything at any site and we apologized for the unit emblem, certainly. There are some who would spread wild claims and rumors about these events (with a variety of motivations), these are not true. The person who coordinated access to the site (an area reenactor and police officer) said in response to some of the finger-pointing, "No one unit is was responsible. I did not say any unit but person(s) unknown.  The actions of one are the actions of all.  I know there was some there already." It is always the same people spreading these rumors, it occurs to me.

Antonescu:
Chris,

Yes, it seems that there are rumors about units going around. The one that you described and clarified was told to another moderator by a member of 3rd Pz (II do not know who it was personally). The moderator said he didn't/wouldn't say what unit but those were what were told to him. If teens are doing this then it is really a shame since they do not understand the meaning behind it (I think they do) and just want to start something.

Now another one is seeming to have more truth. The Federation is contacting people after a member of their staff saw something in one of the units barracks that didn't sit too well with them. They are contacing individuals for a thorough investigation. The unit has already been banned from Gap II (that is what I have been told along with others on the forum), Newville WWII events and possibly another PA event (that coming from the Event Coordinators). That is what Marsh is talking about.

Agree, units that do stupid should be shunned by participants. Banning will work in some areas of the country but as you stressed in others the lack of units makes it difficult. To limit oneself to certain events seems out of the question due to the lack of events now in the area. I would love to come back up there since I know what events you guys run. In fact would love to come to Ft. Adams in RI in November since I will be in Pelham, NY close to I-95 and not the mess in NYC. I do come up to Haydenville and have been to Tolland twice. Quality events with quality units will get me there for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version