Forum > WWII

Why even go to events if you're like this?`

(1/2) > >>

Poilu:
I saw this posted on an e-Mail list:

Is it me or do you find a lot of the Allied groups leave as soon as the battle's over saying they have to get home ?  not staying and enjoying the Kameradschaft that goes on after the event is over? I remember back when we would have one more battle on Sunday before packing up and leaving. Hell the new WWII events are arrive friday, battle saturday, then get home to cut the lawn hahaha that sucks

THIS IS SO TRUE!!! the Amis ALWAYS cut out. Or at best, IF they DO stay around, change into their jeans and t-shirts as soon as the event is over. WHY? I remember the old WW2HPG events at Street, MD and there was a dinnner afterward, even then, most Ami's changed out. Are they embarassed about their impression? I mean, is this whole Band of Bozos thing just a "thing" to do? Do they really not care, or like their impression? Hell, I'd rather have Soviets who like to hang out and be with their fellows. It's sad. We need mroe Eastern Front events or maybe justones with the Axis and Brits or something.
Am I alone in thinking this?

Sturmkatze:
I could go on... maybe I will. but not right this second. Events could and SHOULD be better. Many things from the old days are missing (fun, comradeship between reenactors from all sides, etc.), but the farbiness of those days is gone. So much splitting and fracturing. It used to be just the WWII HRS, then the Federation (East Coast guys) broke off from them (the old Federation before Dave "Baby Doc" Shaw took it over as his own personal fiefdom). After that, there just popped up a zillion little groups, each wanting to do something different. Personally, I think we've lost something.

One thing I really remember was the HRS's The Point newsletter. It was good and, I think, helped build some kind of comradeship... we need more of this kind of thing today.
More later... (yeah, I started thinking and writing... then I get lost and it's a long post)  :-[

Antonescu:
Some of the events are fun to do now. Depends on how is hosting them it seems as well. As for the Ami's going home on Saturday night who knows. For some it might be close to home. I did it for one event in MA last year but the rest of the time hang out for the weekend. I too do not undestand why spend all that money to to enjoy the weekend for most events? At some even the Germans leave on Saturday.

Sturmkatze:
Oh, I've seen Germans leave too. I dunno, I guess I just like doing Eastern Front better. The Soviets tend to stay and hang out. It's more fun anyway. My opinion. (I know, Harry, I'm doing it again)

Philonivs Maximvs:
For gods' sake, HANG OUT!! This is a plea from a jaded soul. If you take the time and gas money to drive to an event, hang out, enjoy the friendship, the camaraderie. Life's too short! Yes, Phil's trying to impress his whole life-philosophy on all reenactors  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version