Forum > WWII

The changing face of reenacting

<< < (2/3) > >>

Antonescu:
"public displays for a public that just doesn't give a crap"

Chris,

I think it depends on where the displays take place. I do know in WV, NJ and VA there are more people there to learn, veterans come to share stories and everyone enjoys the day. I think its more like the events such as Reading that only want to make money off the public that seem to have more of those who are there to look for things to cause trouble. A living history display is also good during the school year since a lot of teachers would like to make a field trip out of it to allow their classes the opportunity to see what their ancestors went through to make the country what it is today.

As for units compromising on standards, these seem to be "problem" units that allow anyone to join with no regard. As a history teacher, the love of history hasn't left me at all. However, the behaviors of some units that do Western Europe 44-45 have driven me more and more to East Front and most likely to only that and WWI.

See my post about the units in the other thread.

Chris Pittman:
Don't get me wrong, I used to really sincerely enjoy public display events. Meeting veterans was always the best part. At my first displays in 2001 there were always plenty of veterans, even German vets happy to tell stories. In recent years, there have been fewer and fewer WWII vets at the displays we participate in, and now it is rare to meet even a single person. We used to be a part of a big regional air show up here, it used to be a lot of fun for us. But as time goes on, we have met fewer and fewer people with a genuine interest, and more and more children and teenagers who just fray our nerves. The air show organizers have also worked to marginalize us as well. We haven't gotten a recruit from a public display in years. We continue to enjoy events like military vehicle rallies with smaller crowds who are receptive to what we do and appreciate our efforts, but the big displays grow more and more frustrating for us.

Sturmkatze:

--- Quote from: Chris Pittman on June 16, 2008, 08:51:07 AM ---Don't get me wrong, I used to really sincerely enjoy public display events. Meeting veterans was always the best part. At my first displays in 2001 there were always plenty of veterans, even German vets happy to tell stories.
--- End quote ---
AND back then, they were happy to see us there. Hell, it was usually a crowd of GERMAN reenactors standing there talking to them while the "John Waynes" were off watching videos or whatever (sad, but true)...

--- Quote ---In recent years, there have been fewer and fewer WWII vets at the displays we participate in, and now it is rare to meet even a single person. We used to be a part of a big regional air show up here, it used to be a lot of fun for us. But as time goes on, we have met fewer and fewer people with a genuine interest, and more and more children and teenagers who just fray our nerves. The air show organizers have also worked to marginalize us as well. We haven't gotten a recruit from a public display in years. We continue to enjoy events like military vehicle rallies with smaller crowds who are receptive to what we do and appreciate our efforts, but the big displays grow more and more frustrating for us.
--- End quote ---
It's just not worth it anymore >:( Usually the crowds know EVERYTHING because they have learned it all from watching the history of ketchup on the "hitler channel." That, or they have watched some old war movie one too many times. And of course, "Why would ya wanna portray one of them thar nazzzies?" That kinda crap. Public stuff is for the birds. Hell, and it doesn't seem any better for any of the time periods. I stopped caring about "edjukatin' the publick" years ago -- they don't care, they'd rather play some new XBox game or whatever. 0|

Antonescu:

--- Quote from: Sturmkatze on June 16, 2008, 10:51:30 AM ---
--- Quote ---In recent years, there have been fewer and fewer WWII vets at the displays we participate in, and now it is rare to meet even a single person. We used to be a part of a big regional air show up here, it used to be a lot of fun for us. But as time goes on, we have met fewer and fewer people with a genuine interest, and more and more children and teenagers who just fray our nerves. The air show organizers have also worked to marginalize us as well. We haven't gotten a recruit from a public display in years. We continue to enjoy events like military vehicle rallies with smaller crowds who are receptive to what we do and appreciate our efforts, but the big displays grow more and more frustrating for us.
--- End quote ---
It's just not worth it anymore >:( Usually the crowds know EVERYTHING because they have learned it all from watching the history of ketchup on the "hitler channel." That, or they have watched some old war movie one too many times. And of course, "Why would ya wanna portray one of them thar nazzzies?" That kinda crap. Public stuff is for the birds. Hell, and it doesn't seem any better for any of the time periods. I stopped caring about "edjukatin' the publick" years ago -- they don't care, they'd rather play some new XBox game or whatever. 0|

--- End quote ---

I'm in contact with a councilman in a town in WV. I can honestly say that there the people actually care (also being from there). In fact, they would like to have a battle on the bridge and along main street, various nationalities reenacted in attendence, vehicles brought in as well. He said most likely the city will go for it but would have to be a yearly thing. I run into veterans everywhere I go back in WV. I guess the country air is really good for the health. ;D

prgeyer:
I just recently did a public WW2 living history in northern VA.  I was favorably impressed by the public that showed up.  We had a number of U.S. veterans (one guy landed on D-Day, and had some very interesting stories to tell).  There were tons of kids who mostly had informed questions, and even parents who really wanted their kids to learn something.  Maybe it's a function of being so close to DC and the resident military population, but it was a pleasant surprise after not having done many public living histories for a while.

As for the participants themselves, all new reenactors should have their TVs and game consoles forcibly removed from their homes for their first 5 years in the hobby.  Band of Brothers or Call of Duty are great entertainment.  But too many guys come into the hobby thinking that they're history.  They aren't, they never were, and they never will be.  When a kid asks me how he can become a reenactor, I tell him point blank that the first step before doing anything else is to read every book on the subject that he/she can get their hands on.  Next, find an established group of individuals who also read (and continue to read) every book on the subject that they can get their hands on.

Finally, if we want to get rid of at least some of the yahooism in the Hobby, it is my opinion that reenactors need to stop convincing themselves that they are somehow a legitimate part of what they are portraying.  I know that it's an easy trap, when one has put together a first rate 1st person impression, to say "WE did such and such on D-Day" or "WE did such and such when we entered Stalingrad".  I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but NONE of us were present on D-Day, and NONE of us entered Stalingrad with the 6th Army.  We're reenactors pretending that we did these things, nothing more.  Some of us have created great associations with veterans' organizations.  But that doesn't change the essential fact that we are not veterans of WW2, and we have no right to appropriate for ourselves the honor and respect that real veterans of WW2 have earned.  Once we disassociate ourselves with the feats of strength, stamina, and courage that others performed, it becomes easier for us to participate in tacticals without feeling that we have to "win" (whatever that means).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version