Forum > Tacticals

East Front events

<< < (2/5) > >>

Panzergrenadier116:
 I remember Harry had 3 guys from NJ that year.  It is the same property.  We will have our Westfront there in October too since deer season has claimed the other location.  Hopefully, 116 will have that farm again in Feb.  Most guys really liked the land.
 2.SS is a very close unit to us.  We are trying to help the Ostfront event go well as best we can.  They do plan to move it to VA in the future if it is a success.  They have access to a larger piece of land near South Hill.

Erich

Antonescu:

--- Quote from: Panzergrenadier116 on June 21, 2007, 10:09:44 PM --- I remember Harry had 3 guys from NJ that year.  It is the same property.  We will have our Westfront there in October too since deer season has claimed the other location.  Hopefully, 116 will have that farm again in Feb.  Most guys really liked the land.
 2.SS is a very close unit to us.  We are trying to help the Ostfront event go well as best we can.  They do plan to move it to VA in the future if it is a success.  They have access to a larger piece of land near South Hill.

Erich

--- End quote ---

Yes there were three of us, Harry, his son and myself. That was the only time I remember experiencing all 4 seasons in ONE day! Jim contacted me about getting some guys that do Romanian, etc. I'll email them and let them know about it but can't promise anything though. Two guys are in Iraq right now, one on PA and myself in NYC. We have one in the 101st who is getting his impression together right now so maybe I can guide him along to get a group together down there. Nothing like switching sides half way through a battle! ;)

Panzergrenadier116:
That is typical of North Carolina in February.  It goes from one extreme to another.  It can snow one day and be shirtsleeve weather the next day.  The last Feb event was cold and windy.  Jim is doing most of the emailing for 2.SS.  I posted it on At The Front.  2.SS are a great group of guys and have done alot for our unit.  So, when they want help we are glad to help out.  Personally, I would love an Ostfront event with snow.  We had a few flakes in Lowell, Indiana a couple of years ago but it really wasnt an Ostfront event.  Besides, it did not stick.

ET

Antonescu:
Ost Front event with snow would be nice for sure. Question to think about is how do you get Germans who have Russian or other East Front impressions to wear them for an event instead of German? Think this would help greatly with the Russian numbers.

Antonescu:
Here are some things to think about and maybe discuss.

East Front reenacting appears to not be organized. What do I mean, seems communication is not up to par (yes know there are the Yahoo Groups), members do not come out, members seen as mediocre at events, events not advertised, too many units but not enough players. Here are some ideas to think about and discuss:

1) Keep communication on tactics, living history open to expand knowledge. There are sites such as Red Army Online etc. than need to be utilized to the fullest extent. Keep a yahoo-group for general communication/selling items and the other just for the above.

2) Training weekends should be planned for Ost Front (non-German) units to attend and enhance skills and to get to know one another. Not just a unit weekend but an entire Red Army weekend.

3) Ost Front Events need to be advertised to the fullest extent possible. There are some which are invite only and it seems that since there are not enough around this might not be a good idea.

4) Ost Front Events need to have a non-German sponsor. This would make it possible for Russian reenactors to have the word spread about and this might actually draw some of the closet Russians back out.

5) Location of Ost Front events are also key. Why not try to do events that would be centralized for most people. So far the only two I can think of are WV and PA which could be used to draw attendees from OH, IN, IL, VA, KY, TN, MD, NC, SC, DE, NY and NJ.

6) Organize the Red Army into geographical sections with 2 or 3 POC's instead of several or just one. For Example, New England (come up with Soviet Front name)=list of units; mid-Atlantic:list of units, and so on for each geographical area of the US. Don't worry about listing the EU units until the US side of the hobby is organized/centralized per say.

7) Units with 4,5,6,7 members. Why? If two or three units in same state why not combine into one unit? This would make it easier for communication and lead to more numbers in the field. For Example, NC Unit A has 5 members and Unit B has 8, combine to create Unit C with 13 members. Decided to do Romanian instead due to fact that my other half grew up under Communism and doesn't want to see anything related to it.

8) Attend Living History Events, inform public on Soviet/Non-German participation, bring the toys to show, tell people about the hobby and cost compared to others.

9) Authenticity needs to be enhanced to the fullest extent. Each unit should adopt a 100% standard for this just like the Germans do.

10) Soviet Command at events seems to be in the hands of a certain few. Change it up, bring new people in to command the Red Army. This gives the others experience needed in commanding troops, allows others to feel they are being seen and respected, gives other units a goal to reach as well as good moral.

Just some ideas to put out there so lets see what can happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version