Forum > WWII Civilian Area

Shirts

<< < (2/3) > >>

adam:
Thanks, Sterling. That's what I was looking for.

Philonivs Maximvs:
Excellent info, Sterling... thanks!

I might add that the modern dress shirt has a much less pointy collar than most "day shirts" did back then, even in Europe. Much longer and pointier were the shirts back then, but not wide like 70's "disco" shirts (so don't get those!).

I've converted a couple modern dress shirts into period style by purchasing one that fits, and one of identical material to cut up. I converted the collars, the breast pockets, and on one, I did the pullover old style. If the shirts are on sale, I can convert a good shirt for about $25 (versus $60+, what many of the vintage/retro places online are charging). Saves time, but of course if you want a "100% correct" shirt, you'll need a pattern and some material, and start from scratch.

adam:
So, how old-fashioned would a pullover shirt be? I have some pattern drawings from a 1924 tailoring manual and would love to give that a try. I just wasn't sure of the accuracy.

Philonivs Maximvs:
Think German service shirts... that's what I mean by pullover. More of a Henley style. I think that basic style pullover was popular from the late 1800's (I know that German service shirts had that feature from Franco-Prussian days at least).

History1940:
Here's the easiest answer to your question,...pick up a few old department store catalogues from the last 1930s and into the 1940s.  They will show you all you need to know

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version