This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Poll

Would you openly accept QUALITY civilian impressions at tactical battles? (displaced persons or resistance/partisans)

Yes! It would be a refreshing addition to the same shoot-em-ups.
4 (66.7%)
Only if their action was directly controlled by the event organizers.
2 (33.3%)
Don't care either way.
0 (0%)
No; might interfere with an otherwise quality tactical event.
0 (0%)
No way! Anyone who does such an impression is a cheapskate, non-conformist, and I'll "execute" them when I see them in the battle!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: September 14, 2007, 11:40:25 PM

Author Topic: Civilians in WW2 tactical events  (Read 28412 times)

Offline marloes

• Plebe
    • The Netherlands 1940-1945, Study and Living History Group
Re: Civilians in WW2 tactical events
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 10:06:21 AM »
Thats why here in europe people are making a bigger and bigger difference of Reenactment and Living History.
In the nearly 10 years ive been doing living history I've only shot a gun twice and that was just to see what it was like, not as part of the display.
I have only done 2 events that were not public.
Everything we do is about education and about the public.
Besides that authenticity and experiencing history the way it was (ish) is 99% of the fun.
50% of the things I carry with me are never seen by the public, but I want them to be there, for me.
Like some paperwork.

I am sure we can think of lots of ways to involve civvies authentically into a strategical event.
It would be great if there were more 100% civilian living history groups.
As far as I know were the only one out there, besides a german group thats mainly civilian.

Authentic Radiobroadcasts for your display;
http://www.joeri.net/radiofiles

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »
There's a loose Volkssturm unit and a homefront women's group here in the Midwest US, but that's all I know of. I'll be doing Volkssturm in December in fact, up at Ft. Custer (the new HRS Nat'l). Once the 15 rounds are spent, I'm walking back home to get the kids & make for the American lines!  :laugh:
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »
Just to throw in my two cents worth- I think it would be a great idea and a great alternative from the usual "bang-bang-shoot-'em up" that's so typical of WWII events. Not that I mind the occassional fireworks but the older I get, the less interesting that is. However, all too often, civilian impressions are put together by people as a "cheap and easy" way to be able to attend an event. To me, in order for really do a proper civilian impression, it has to be done right and it takes work. It's not something that should be done in a half-assed manner.

That said, I'm open to anyone wanting to do a good civilian impression although it's kind of problematic in a combat zone (unless you have it carefully worked out).

I've always liked the stuff that Marloes (aka Ms. Joeri) does- from the website, it looks awesome although I'd hate to be the one with the German impression.  ;D  I hope someday I can witness or participate in one of her events (although I don't know a word of Dutch but I can learn fast!  :D).

Anyway, it's a good idea that should be explored more.
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry

Offline marloes

• Plebe
    • The Netherlands 1940-1945, Study and Living History Group
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »
Yes its a shame the civilian/resistance impression has such a bad reputation.
This is mainly because people who havent got enough money to buy a proper outfit think its a cheap way of joining in the fun.
They think a 50s dress is 'good enough' and modern shoes look fine...
Not to mention the men who like to bring their girlfriend or wife along and dont put the money and effort into getting them a proper outfit.
Civilian/resistance is or should be a proper living history impression just like any other impression! :police:

Authentic Radiobroadcasts for your display;
http://www.joeri.net/radiofiles

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
Not to mention the men who like to bring their girlfriend or wife along and dont put the money and effort into getting them a proper outfit.

Ah, that species of creature known as the press-ganged reenactor! Often seen, especially at Civil War events. WWII isn't my wife's thing but any excuse to go Edwardian and she'll be there in an instant!  ;D
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry

Offline Rats

• Boot
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 02:45:12 AM »
New here but had to chime in....

Though I'm just starting with my soviet impression and having run the gambit from Sillywar to WWII GI... (especially after 10 years in the infantry). My original interest was actually with the resistance movements. However all the groups I have belonged to always seem to have the ladies and the kids waiting and watching the fellas and supporting from the camp.

Currently in addition to GI and Red Army I have also been tryinig to push Soviet partisan or even a Polish resistance impression on my friends who are still very active with Sillywar and are not willing to shave or cut hair to a military standard. There were even Russian, anti-soviet colaborators or "Partisan Hunters" who helped the Germans. This in itself could be an interestig twist which could really throw a wrench into the friendly fire issue. And if needed, it could also bulster the German numbers if too many russians arrive at a single event.

I would also like to see a SOE display or training camp. We could have weapons and demolitions training for resiatance fighters or even send civilians on missions to deliver messages and equipment to various buildings???

This year I also hope to have folks from my other groups come out and give some character to the event. I even hope to have my daughter selling flowers, bread, fruit or used shoes.... in addition to delivering various parcels to the brave resistance fighters!

Just some ideas!

Take care

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
For our Remagen Bridge battle we will have civilians that will be fleeing the town as the battle is right behind them. This will be a chance for German forces to actually work with a German civilian population like during the war and for the public to see that civilians like them do actually get caught up in war.

A change of pace and we hope for the better of our hobby.

Battlebaby Pat
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

Offline kestrel

• Reenactor
  • Onward Running Pups!
    • 6 Kompanie, 116 Panzer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »
We had some civilians wandering the site at our last Rhineland event. They added a nice element to the battle, and they did get caught in the crossfire once or twice.

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
That is good to hear indeed. My battle coordinator is going by the history of remagen for the civilians. As GI's we will not see them since we are pushing into Remagen,street and building fighting towards the massive iron bridge. The Germans will be working with them and the crowd will see what happens to civilians when two armies come together.
 Our hobby needs to grow with new ideas and more regulars units too.

Pat
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
Hessen Antique (aff)