This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Rondezvous  (Read 9818 times)

Offline michaelsbagley

• Plebe
    • Re-enactment Events dot Com
Rondezvous
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:00:58 PM »
Hey there,

I'm rather new to "black powder age" of re-enacting (I've done lots of early medieval re-enacting and I also used to go to some War of 1812 events ages ago, but that's another story), and well, I really want to get out there. I've got garb for early 18th century (1700 to 1720s appropriate), and I am in the process of shopping for a musket appropriate to that period (I have a few that I am debating between). Now most of the people I know from various forums doing this period are rather far for me to join up with on any regular basis, and well getting a group together locally will most likely be a slow long uphill process... So I am thinking "rondezvous".

A guy from another forum I am on has recounted tales of attending various rondezvous in the same period that I do, but he's on the west coast, and I am not sure how different things are in the mid-west (I'm in Ohio). Are most rondezvous in Ohio (and vacinity, i.e. Kentucky, Indiana, Eastern PA etc.) fairly open for timeframe? Or are most rondezvous in these areas kind of open ended and just pre-1800 (as a random example)?

Basically, from what I have read a rondezvous would be an ideal place for someone like me who is more or less starting to get to know people, and a good environment for the lone re-enactor (or small groups) to come together. If anyone has any hints, suggestions, advice, or any words about what the local(ish) rondezvous are like, I would greatly appreciate it?

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
Re: Rondezvous
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:33:34 PM »
I started reenacting at rondezvous when I was 14.  Very family oriented and very nice, accomodating people.  When I used to go to the Eastern Rondezvous, I was in my early 20's, so my experiences were akin to the "college drinking party" type.  Again, very nice people who looked after each other.....made sure the drunks made it back to their camp....and if not, at least were covered with a blanket and checked on regularly.
Time frames were always "pre 1840".  I stopped going to rodezvous because I became very interested in 18th century clothing and period correctness for a very small time frame.  Not saying I was better than anyone else, but I was looking for like minded semi-thread counters.  I'm not a pure "thread counter" or what some call "progressives" but I'm past the tipi, speckled tinware dishes and wearing dead animals. (except for the erimine and rabbit on my brunswick/traveling outfit)  Again, very nice people, and some of my best friends still rondezvous, but Terry and I have moved onto the 18th c. fair/ shows, and a few rev.war reenactments, along with 1812 reenactments, always as civilians though ;)
the flamingos are my minions.

Offline PcolaJack

• Boot
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:51:33 PM »
I am researching the early origins of "Rondezvous" as a practice of trading with frontier people.  I believe it predates the 1820 to 1840 Mountainman era that made it famous.  Does anyone have any historical information or context that can help?  If so please contact me as PcolaJack via pcolajack@earthlink.net

Thanks,

Jack Moran

Offline IvyWolf

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
I grew up in SouthWest Ohio, I got my start in Rondezvous... and still have friends there. That being said, in most Ohio rondezvous you will find everyone from thread nazis who know their history cold to the "jeans & turquiose" set, highland games to "run the gauntlet". You'll quickly be able to tell who has a similar philosophy to yours, hang with them, and move on to events that cater to those philosophies...
...and if you see anyone from Grassy Run tell them TerryK's daughter says "hallo"

...as to a time-frame... in the 1780s & 90s is when the focus started to shift from hunting trips and trading with Natives to permenant settlement. Ohio had enough residents to become a state in 1803, which pushed many Natives west into Indiana, Illinios, and north into Michigan and Canada. After the 1813 death of Tecumseh, who was the driving force behind a collition of Native Forces, most Natives vacated the "NorthWest Territory" for points further west. The frontiersmen who traded, scouted, hunted moved at the same time. Therefore, yes, we who live in the "First Frontier" areas consider the "mountain man" era to be 1700-1820ish. Those further west adjust the time period later. Consider reading Ekhart's series of books as a starting point for research.
Hopefully Helpful-
-Elaine