Forum > Tacticals

Immersive Events

<< < (3/3)

reg135ofthe45th:
We did a 36 hr tactial in MD and it was awful a few years ago. The idea of sitting in a fox hole doing nothing for hours at a time is a waste. I can do that in my back yard.  I want send out patrols, find the enemy and engage them. Most of the memebrs in our unit are active duty militray or federal officers. Many of the guys do not want to spend the weekend doing a militray drill weekend.

Antonescu:

--- Quote from: reg135ofthe45th on August 07, 2007, 03:33:05 PM ---We did a 36 hr tactial in MD and it was awful a few years ago. The idea of sitting in a fox hole doing nothing for hours at a time is a waste. I can do that in my back yard.  I want send out patrols, find the enemy and engage them. Most of the memebrs in our unit are active duty militray or federal officers. Many of the guys do not want to spend the weekend doing a militray drill weekend.

--- End quote ---

I remember you telling me about this. I think if an immersion event is done correctly then it would be fun. It seems that the MD event is designed by a specific unit for their own good/needs primarily. Patrols, digging in, laying communication lines (if applicable), etc. really ehance the feeling. Some of us would love to go to such an event here in the area.

Philonivs Maximvs:
Indeed, I too am tired of the "bug hunt in the woods" tacticals. When I get really active again, I'm going to want some of that immersion! Let's do it, Midwest.....

battlebaby4:
I believe I talked about this before but here it goes again. When I did Civil War we had two events like this that you are wanting. Rockton ,Ontario in the museum village and in Beaver,PA in the community Park whick was a reclamed gravel pit. We had trails with judges that walked with us. There would be different stations that everyone had to go through. One was civilians, how do you act with them, a snpier who kills off you officer,nco's, cannon hidden in ambush, hospital, ect. We had a mission to find a spy who stole blueprints to a ship.
 For WW 2 would be so easy with a tons of things to do Truck convoy gets hit, MG nests, snipers, more cilvilians stuff. ect. This was judged by points. Winners were 1st ,2nd and 3rd place.
This is what some of the BIG units should try to host,I'll help. If you know of a village muesum or park with wooded and open trails ect. This would be a event that would change peoples minds and how the act.

Pat

Antonescu:
I feel we need to see more of these types of events. To actually relive the situation. However lets looks at some issues to consider:

1) Reenactors health: Will those who attend be able to do the tactical? In recent years thanks to our "healthy" lifestyles many in this area are not deemed to be fit. Large beerbellies, heart conditions, diabetes, etc. will make it difficult to play in my opinion.

2) Vehicles or no vehicles: If a unit brings a vehicle will they have enough items to service it if something happens? My biggest peeve is those units who bring vehicles that do not know how to use them properly in the field. To have a half-track zipping all over the field while infantry are sneaking up on an enemey position shows me the unit doesn't know what they are doing at all and not looking out for others. How would that be handled?

3) Weather conditions: We know the veterans didn't have a choice in dealing with the weather however what about now? If it is too cold what would be set up to deal with potential risks for example? I can honestly say that I would not walk in water if the temperature is below freezing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version