This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: New here, just saying hi...  (Read 7505 times)

Offline michaelsbagley

• Plebe
    • Re-enactment Events dot Com
New here, just saying hi...
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »
Hey all, new to this forum...

Been re-enacting for about 8 years now, started with War of 1812 stuff (civilian only, didn;t stick with it long enough to get military gear), then I moved on to late Dark Ages, which I did almost exclusively for 6 years or so, I've recently started getting into Pirate living history stuff (1680's to 1720's), but I have been seriously considering dabbling in F&IW (I'm holding off on that for now).

I'm located in Central Ohio, and that about sums me up for now...

Offline Bonnie aka blnzrfn

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
Re: New here, just saying hi...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:04:56 PM »
Welcome Michaelsbagley,, Hope to see you around the Forums ;D                                                                                                                                             
blnzrfn
"as seen in Smoke and Fire News ; www.smoke-fire.com"

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:17:22 PM »
 ;DHi Michael,
My husband and I do civilian 18th c. and War of 1812.  We're located in Northwest Ohio and have both been reenacting for about 25 years.(started when I was 14) :P...We really enjoy doing civilian impressions and are happy to meet others who like doing non-military.  We just started setting up as sutlers this year :-\  with an okay reaction.  My hubby does silhouette cuts and I think I will try my hand at scherenschnitte (german paper cutting) for next year and maybe add a few interesting items that are paper related (paper dolls ???)  We've been on the forum for about a month now and are finding it very interesting, and entertaining :laugh: hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!
the flamingos are my minions.

Offline michaelsbagley

• Plebe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:04 PM »
Hi Flamingo (I can see no other name to call you by, please let me know what I should refer to you as)

I would very much like to connect with other re-enactors in the Ohio area. I'm starting to get to know quite a few re-enactors on various forums, but most live too far away for me to really get to know (face to face like).

Funny thing you mention the paper cutting thing, my girtlfriend is an avid paper crafter. SHe does a lot of modern card making and scrap booking, but she has expressed interest in learning some more old world paper crafts (as an addition to her hobby, she's never been interested in running a business with her paper crafts).

So far the forum seems good, it's a fair bit quieter than many forums I am on, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Again, nice to kind of meet you Flamingo.

Regards,
Michael

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:22:19 PM »
Hey, my name's Julie, and I totally agree on the quiet forum thing.  I find it just a bit eerie.....  I am REALLY new to computers, in fact my husband Terry made me sign on to this forum.  Before this, I really hadn't done any other.   I tried MySpace because my sister and my nephew and niece  both had sites there, but I never could get my site to amount to anything... in fact, I don't think I've checked in on it for about three months...oops... :-[  I've never gotten into scrapbooking, or anything artsy (anything that took any talent, I mean :-\)  I spend ALOT of my time doing the costuming for myself and Terry.  I do alot of research and reading and although we don't consider ourselves "accuracy Nazis" I like to think  we are doing this accurately...(we don't like to think of ourselves as "progressives" or "thread counters", maybe something just below them >:D)  Terry is very fascinated with german WWI and WWII, while I just like to talk to people, thus, we are spending time here :D  (not having kids helps with the time issue, too) >:D
the flamingos are my minions.

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 01:53:47 AM »
Hey, it's quiet because people don't post... the 'Net is full of "lurkers"  ??? Folks who don't participate... if everyone posted even every other day, we'd be quite busy... So, if you have topics you know about, why not post an article on something?  ;)
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline cheekyactress

• Passion for History...no matter what time it is!
  • Reenactor
  • Member:Archangel Crew & Kishwaukee VVC Wild West
    • The Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »
Welcome Michaelsbagley!

Glad to see you here!  Look about because there is a lot to see.

Cheeky

Offline michaelsbagley

• Plebe
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcome all, (nice to see you here too Cheeky  :D )

Julie, I wouldn't worry so much about the term "autenticity nazi"... I tend to think thast "authenticity nazis" are the people who are so rude to try and enforce thier ideas of authenticity on others (and usually without beign asked to). Anyone who just sets high standards for themselves, and strives to do as good of a job as possible on their own kit/garb/accoutrements and remains respectful of others differing standards (or even lack of standards) is just in my mind, someone who likes to try to perfect their craft(s).  :laugh:

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »
Julie, I wouldn't worry so much about the term "autenticity nazi"... I tend to think thast "authenticity nazis" are the people who are so rude to try and enforce thier ideas of authenticity on others (and usually without beign asked to). Anyone who just sets high standards for themselves, and strives to do as good of a job as possible on their own kit/garb/accoutrements and remains respectful of others differing standards (or even lack of standards) is just in my mind, someone who likes to try to perfect their craft(s).  :laugh:
Exactly!
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.