Forum > WWII

War Games, by Jenny Thompson

(1/3) > >>

writer78:
I recently read War Games, a study on WWII reenactors, by Jenny Thompson.  I'm curious if any of you have read it and what you thought.  My only reenacting experience is attending ren faires in costume.  I'm thinking of getting into war reenacting, but I haven't settled on what kind I want to do.  The atmosphere that she describes is intriguing, but her experience suggests that women have a hard time breaking into the hobby.  HOwever, her experience was limited to her local experiences, about 10 years back.

So my main question is, what did you think about her book?  What did she get right and wrong?  And my secondary question is, for a female reenactor starting out, do you think a particular era is easier to get started in than another?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sturmkatze:
He-he-he. I'm IN that book?in a LOT of places! I won't tell you my changed-name, but I know it's me -- lots of stuff I have said. I know Jenny -- she's cool?she was on a lot of my e-mail lists and still is on many. She understands WWII reenactors (if such a thing is possible :P). Anyway, to answer your question, yes, it's a lot of truth and she got a lot right.
Reenactors are like any other hobbyist, it's just that we play w/ guns and stuff that upsets normal folks interests us. People do it for different reasons. Anyway, about the book?ask away. I can tell you that I know a goodly amount of the people in the book and found it very, very interesting... kinda like goin' home  ;)

daniels:
oddly enough when I finished the book I thought that their were a lot of the same personalitys in the 30 yrs war group that I'm in. In all honnestly I think that their is alot of the same types in all eras of reenecating.

Antonescu:
Haven't read the book myself but do know of some professors at an Ivy League school in the Psychology Department that have. They just laughed it off as wasted time since only a very small number of people would actually be interested in the book and there are other issues that warrant research instead of why people reenact WWI/WWII.

Sturmkatze:

--- Quote from: Antonescu on August 23, 2007, 10:47:32 AM ---Haven't read the book myself but do know of some professors at an Ivy League school in the Psychology Department that have. They just laughed it off as wasted time since only a very small number of people would actually be interested in the book and there are other issues that warrant research instead of why people reenact WWI/WWII.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, but you just said the term that made me go, "who cares?" "professors at an Ivy League school in the Psychology Department" Alas, to us inthe normal world, the "ivy league" is about as relavant as a fart in a typhoon.
Marsh the surly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version