This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: What's wrong w/ impressions, or...  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
What's wrong w/ impressions, or...
« on: January 20, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
Yeah, the "or" actually, unless it's really heinous, I don't care anymore. Yep, an old stitch-nazi like me. Less and less do I care. Okay, really bad stuff yes, but little stuff? What's the point? We're out here to have FUN, not be a bunch of nit picky old women. And that's what many are starting to sound like. Or maybe, I'm just getting old and think that after ALL the strides we've made in the hobby (in my case WWI and WWII German), we have all these new punks coming in telling ME I'm wrong or preaching the same crap I used to put out.  0| I've realized it's a DAMN slow process and over time things DO improve.

You know, almost any farb will improve with help -- however, if you attack them or make fun of them or whatever, well that's just another member of our hobby you've driven away  >:( I remember a Silly War reenactor I knew who was in the Southern Guards unit, let's call him "James." He told me how they used to love to mess w/ less-than-authentic reenactors (vs. helping them) and how their favorite thing was to make some guys cry!? Neat huh? I was disgusted by this and still am. Most so-called "stitch nazis" will go out of their way to help people... the other kind, the ?ber-elite "puffy people" never will -- these are the bozos who are destroying the hobby. Not cool, huh?! What's your opinion?

[and they WONDER why I'm more into my sailboat these days]
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Re: What's wrong w/ impressions, or...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »
I have heard people trying to help but when they spoke it came out in the wrong tone. Sometimes they do email but that doesn't always come across as it should. Try being patient and talking it through with them. Also, always be positive: "Hey, your coming along well. Looks good. May I make some suggestions on becoming more authentic?" then take it from there. Positive attitude when talking to someone will get more accomplished.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
alas, some people just don't seem to care, 0| or, in the case of some of these punky kids new to the hobby, they know it all and think everyone else should make way for the way they think  oo-P
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Huntar

• Plebe
    • 9th Guards
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
i'll admit that not everything i use is 100% authentic. i don't care though. i won't sacrifice my comfort or my dollar to get it so some idiot can be happy. my comfort and level of content is more important than somebody else's opinion.

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:03:21 AM »
Really? What period do you do? Comfort usually is not a factor for me in buying gear. I try to "fix" something every time I go out. To improve each and every time. As for some other idiot's opinion, aren't you afraid they won't invite you to the event or let you come?

I'm not really talking about total farbing out, I just think that there has to be a balance and new people need to be helped to get better... yelling at them or berating them is not the answer.
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Offline Huntar

• Plebe
    • 9th Guards
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:35:51 AM »
I do Soviet WWII. By comfort, I mean that some units require you to wear the flannel foot wraps (not leg wraps for outside the shoes, I mean Soviet socks). Other things are the use of captured equipment. I use German Y straps because the belt with 2 ammo pouches, a canteen, some kid of bag (demolitions or bread bag) and sometimes a pistol, that stuff gets heavy and begins to become painful because of the weight distribution. The other is the time frames. So far, every event I've been to has not had a "November 1942" or a "July 1944" scenario. That would require the change of uniform from the M35/M41 to the M43. However, there is plenty of photographic evidence that the M35's were used up to the end of the war but it doesn't seem to please some people.

No I'm not afraid that I won't get invited back. The general feeling amongst all Soviets is that "if it looks good from 5 feet away, you're fine." And I agree with you about "I'm not really talking about total farbing out, I just think that there has to be a balance and new people need to be helped to get better... yelling at them or berating them is not the answer."

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:15:25 PM »
Other things are the use of captured equipment. I use German Y straps because the belt with 2 ammo pouches, a canteen, some kid of bag (demolitions or bread bag) and sometimes a pistol, that stuff gets heavy and begins to become painful because of the weight distribution. The other is the time frames. So far, every event I've been to has not had a "November 1942" or a "July 1944" scenario. That would require the change of uniform from the M35/M41 to the M43. However, there is plenty of photographic evidence that the M35's were used up to the end of the war but it doesn't seem to please some people.

With Romanian it is similiar. Saw German/Russian canteens, mess kits, overcaots, etc. Do have pics showing use and might just keep a small portfolio to prove the ney-sayers wrong. >:D

"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
When I can I try to help other units improve their impression. Sometimes its not possible. At a certain event 4 years ago I was the Allied authenticy and safety officer. As part of the " Invasion" coordinators I had to check the American units. 60% had a good impression. The others were not as good to farby.(many in another host unit) With no higher people willing to back me up they stayed in the battle. The long hair, beards and modern equipment went on the goofy looking beach.
 That was the end of me and my unit in helping host the event.  Finger pointing and missing event money added to us leaving. With that we now host our own events here in PA and NY.

I agree we all need to help each other improve this great hobby. The more good folks we have the better will be the reenactments and living histories. I soooo remember the Silly War infighting and don't want to go through that again.

Pat
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
I've done the German authenticity thing a couple of times (once at FIG) and agree it's BS. Event organizers are SOOOO afraid of turning off the participants that they won't boot anyone. AT ALL. I've seen furry GI's, total horrible Germans, just dreck and they let them go on. Hell, how hard is shaving or a haircut. What can ya do?
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org