This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Invitation to New Bern Commeration  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Captain Middleton

• Boot
Invitation to New Bern Commeration
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
LETTER OF INVITATION

Greetings Brothers, Sisters, Friends

I am Alexander Platt, currently serving as Senior Vice-Commander of Kennesaw Mountain Camp # 3, SUVCW, Department of GA and SC. I am known by many of you as Capt. Thomas W. Middleton, CO D, 9th NJ Volunteers (Muskrat Regiment).  It is in this vein that I am sending an invitation to you, to join with me on Sat. the 10th of March, 2012 at the New Berne, NC Battlefield to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of that Battle.  The 9th New Jersey was an instrumental unit of that Battle and an impressive Statue of the 9th NJ, stands in the National Cemetery.

I have tried in vain to get a monument to represent the 9th on the Battlefield, but due to financial problems, I was unable to obtain any funding from the State.  I have, therefore, started a fundraising drive, the results of which will allow us to honor the memory of the 9th NJ, on the New Bern Battlefield and with a wreath, at the National Cemetery.

I had the honor of being the only Federal re-enactor at the dedication of the handsome memorial for the 26th NC Regiment in 2007.  I am hoping that this year, I will have a few more Union soldiers to stand by me, along with the 26th NC Regiment for this once in a lifetime event.

I am requesting your help in honoring the men of the 9th NJ and all units that fought there on March 14, 1862 by attending and showing the nation that we ?Remember?. I am specifically asking the 26th NC to attend and share with us that Remembrance and close the circle that began in 1905, with the dedication of the Statue in the Cemetery.

Please let me know so that proper ceremonial arrangements can be made.  Thank you for your assistance.  God Bless All of our Veterans and God Bless America.

Alexander (Al) Platt
Aplatt0021@aol.com
770-222-4645 (Home ?Georgia)
732-312-2071 (Cell)