This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Edelweiss

• Boot
Newbie here
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »
Hello all,
I am considering getting into reenacting, most likely WWII.  I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of where I can read up on how reenactments are run, or if you could just provide an example based on personal experience.  I read on the front page: "How do you know who wins or who dies?" Some battles are scripted out as to the end, some are called "tacticals" and may have judges or rules as to what happens.  And that was honestly my main question, how do you know when you're dead or when you've "killed" someone.  Do the Germans start on one side and the GI's on the other for example, or are people placed in strategic locations for a given scenario?

Thanks ;D

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
Hello all,
I am considering getting into reenacting, most likely WWII.  I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of where I can read up on how reenactments are run, or if you could just provide an example based on personal experience.  I read on the front page: "How do you know who wins or who dies?" Some battles are scripted out as to the end, some are called "tacticals" and may have judges or rules as to what happens.  And that was honestly my main question, how do you know when you're dead or when you've "killed" someone.  Do the Germans start on one side and the GI's on the other for example, or are people placed in strategic locations for a given scenario?

Thanks ;D

Ok, this is going to be a long response so I hope you bear with me. First, since you are considering getting into WWII reenacting here are some things to check on. Nationality to portray, guessing German by your forum ID then what aspect: Heer, SS, LW FD, Gebirg, FJ, Polizei). Once you have that taken care of then do research on the units in the area you live. There are good and bad units out there.

Now Second part: As for tacticals they use a scenerio for the event being held. Everyone lines up in the morning for safety check/briefing then move out into the field. Each side is given objectives and most of the time start on opposite sides (one side closer than expected for element of surprise). Scripted battles are usually held for public/living history events. These you are told who wins and where to die, surrender, etc. This is the true acting part of the hobby (besides being movie extras).

Third: You can never be sure that someone will take a hit. It is based on good faith most of the time but events due have judges that will let people know they have been hit. There are times when a lot of firing is going on so you or the opponent might not recognize someone is shooting you. If I shoot someone who doesn't take a hit, I just give them a little wave to let them know it was they who I shot. This seems to work a lot. You'll know you've been hit when you see the gun being fired directly at you (or in your vicinity for safety reasons).

Once you are in it will take only 5 minutes to get an idea on what is going on around you. Watch the others, find the good reenactors and do as they do (in your unit and outside). Make friends with both sides of the hobby to get a better understanding and appreciation why others due the nationalities they do. It is not just reliving history but learning as well.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline Edelweiss

• Boot
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the great response ;D