reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Antonescu on February 27, 2008, 05:51:55 AM

Title: Medullary Thyroid Cancer help
Post by: Antonescu on February 27, 2008, 05:51:55 AM

Yesterday my wife found out that she has been diagnosed with Medullary Thyroid Cancer. 1 in 30,000-50,000 diagnosed with it and one of the rare forms and hardest to treat (only one other is worst) for thyroid. 10 year survival rate varies from 40%-65% and can't be treated with radiation. I am asking if anyone on the groups have had this type or know of anyone who has? With the baby it makes it worst and trying to figure out what to do? If it is genetic they can't do surgery due to both her and the baby dying during labor and not allowed to use anesthetics. Anyone who can offer some advice, been through it, please send it to me. I truely apologize for posting this but using all resources available. Any help is appreciated.

Title: Re: Medullary Thyroid Cancer help
Post by: battlebaby4 on February 28, 2008, 05:51:13 PM
Hello Rob,
 I am sorry to hear about your wife being ill with cancer. I work at a local hospital and sometimes the diagnose can be wrong, if you can get some more different opinions from other doctors. I will ask around at work when I'm there.

 Take care, our prayers are with you from all of us in the 99th I.D.

 Pat Tarasovitch
Title: Re: Medullary Thyroid Cancer help
Post by: Antonescu on March 02, 2008, 01:51:15 PM
I want to take the time to thank everyone for their well wishes on the situation. It's easier to do it this way instead of the individual emails/PM's that have been received. The doctor gave us some good news. Looks like the cancer is only in the thyroid and hasn't spread to the lymph nodes. He is waiting for the tests on the adreniline glands to see if it is there or not. The OBGYN told us that his professional opinion after meeting with the others is that the baby hasn't been affected by the disease. He went over the anestetics and gave us the two that were safe for her and the baby. So far the cards are falling in place and will be able to have surgery this Friday or the following Monday. To date it will be Friday.

Again thank you to everyone and please keep my wife in your prayers.