1800-1865
The American Civil War
1870-1900
World War I
World War II
1946-Present

Add a Reenacting Unit Link button art

EMC Militaria micro ad

How to Re-Size Photos for posting on this site.

Marsh's Blog

This site is Gunny Approved
Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: Aviation and Reenacting  (Read 11065 times)

Offline StorchFlieger

• Boot
Aviation and Reenacting
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
Greetings,

I wanted to start a topic related to aviation in reenacting to discuss the use of aircraft to bring a new dimension to the hobby.  While few of us support the hobby with aircraft, we are out here and we'd love to hear your suggestions and observations.

So far my only operation flown was a Torrance event in 2005.  This event required 6.5 hours of flying to, at, and from the event.  I have also attended WWII Weekend at Reading in 2006.

I look forward to hearing your posts.

Regards,

Denslow Burhans
Denslow Burhans
GD
LARA

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Re: Aviation and Reenacting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:37:17 AM »
I would love to see more airpower at events on both sides. Seeing a P51 and Me109 dog fighting overhead, getting straffed by the Allies, a Stuka dive bombing the Russians at an Eastern Front. There are plenty of events in the area to so this.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:37:17 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:37:52 PM »
I want to shoot one down.  :P
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline StorchFlieger

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:01:55 AM »
While we all would enjoy seeing original beauties flying overhead, the reality is that most warbird pilots aren't interested in supporting our hobby.  The price of original aircraft and the fuel to run those V12's is astonishing.  For instance, most fuel is about $5.00 per gallon and most of them burn between 30-50 gallons per hour.  Mine burns about 18 gallons per hour, and after oil consumption is considered (and normal, by the way) as well as maintenance costs, the bird eats about $150 per hour.  It cruises 100mph.  When I flew the Torrance event in 2005 it cost me about $700 at the time.  Today it would cost about $900.

For an aircraft like the Storch, it would be much easier to use make-shift airfield/field 'runways' and would allow the crew to fly out of the operations area and support the ground forces.  Every reenactor should keep a look out for potential landing areas for those wishing to support the hobby from the air.  Odessa definitely has potential for landing at the site.  The real numbers for takeoff and landing are quite low.  Only 200' for takeoff and about 500' (for me) landing area needed.  And that's with no obstructions on either end.  I personally prefer about 1000' as this is not 'war' and I don't wish to push the envelope of safety.

Anyone know of other event sites that could offer a place to land?

Denslow Burhans
GD
LARA

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:05:57 AM »
If LARA could pick maybe two events to try to make a full show with all they have that would be great. Maybe an idea is to ask for donations at prior events with explaining the cost of bringing a single plane. I would do so now that I know it for sure. Maybe the five events prior to the one attending. Might not raise it all but at least some.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)

Offline StorchFlieger

• Boot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 06:06:18 PM »
I appreciate the creativity with the idea of helping to raise funds.  I feel that there are many ground vehicle owners out there that go through great trials to prepare and transport their vehicles to events, and my personal experience has been that 'passing the stahlhelm' has had limited success.  I have trucks and the plane and recognize that both are equally challenging, but the truck offers a place to sleep if need be.

The weak link for pilots to fly to events is having to bring everything that they would need to sleep in the field.  It's simply not practical to transport all of those needed items in the plane.  So naturally, the biggest contribution in my eyes would be the comfort of knowing that I have a place to sleep, eat, and be on the ground.  I'm sure that this can be handled easily and that many folks would be happy to host.  I'm just thinking of how the ground forces can help me enjoy better attendance over the battlefield.  In return I'll give real-time information about troop movements!

NOTE:  While it's not obvious, my aircraft is in DAK colors.
Denslow Burhans
GD
LARA

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
Why not post some photos of your plane?
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
I appreciate the creativity with the idea of helping to raise funds.  I feel that there are many ground vehicle owners out there that go through great trials to prepare and transport their vehicles to events, and my personal experience has been that 'passing the stahlhelm' has had limited success.  I have trucks and the plane and recognize that both are equally challenging, but the truck offers a place to sleep if need be.

The weak link for pilots to fly to events is having to bring everything that they would need to sleep in the field.  It's simply not practical to transport all of those needed items in the plane.  So naturally, the biggest contribution in my eyes would be the comfort of knowing that I have a place to sleep, eat, and be on the ground.  I'm sure that this can be handled easily and that many folks would be happy to host.  I'm just thinking of how the ground forces can help me enjoy better attendance over the battlefield.  In return I'll give real-time information about troop movements!

NOTE:  While it's not obvious, my aircraft is in DAK colors.

I don't think we would have a problem if you needed a place to stay or anybody else who flew a plane to an event.

Offline StorchFlieger

• Boot
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
Sure, I could upload some photos....point the way...

Den
Denslow Burhans
GD
LARA

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:11:19 PM »
You need to host your pix somewhere (photobucket is free and popular). Then, click this button and put the url of the photo between the [ img ] tags.

Also, the help section for this forum works pretty good... You can learn some good ways to post stuff or how to use some of the features. I am trying to make the font size and fonts easier. Bear w/ us. Anyway. that's be how you post photos. You CAN post more than one pix in a topic... just keep adding the img tags.
Marsh
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 03:59:48 PM »
We had Jason Sharkey's L-3 (US "birddog") land and participate at one of the Rensselaer battles back in 2001. It was wonderful to see it land on the farm... Jason said it was easy to set down. Only thing was, at the end of the battle, Jason tried to land it and some jag in a cycle-combo ran out onto the landing strip, and he almost set down on the guy! Fortunately, both veered away from the other in time. Needless to say, the land owner was pissed. Anyway, we had support for Jason & the plane when he got there, but it just so happens that he prefers hotels, so we didn't need to billet him.

(FYI: Rensselaer, IN isn't an available battle site anymore, but the owner has said something about maybe doing it again in the near future. Maybe.)
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

Offline cco23i

• Plebe
  • "Wanna play some cards?"
    • Arizona ground crew
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
Our unit will soon have some members building their Luftwaffe ground crew uniforms.  I am also to assist Lara as much as possible.

Scott
Msgt. Scott Dunkirk
AZGCLHU Inc.
WW2 Army air force crew chief
http://www.arizonagroundcrew.org/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/groundcrews/

Offline kestrel

• Reenactor
  • Onward Running Pups!
    • 6 Kompanie, 116 Panzer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »
I know there have been allied spoter planes at SOV events. They are held in Camden SC and Statesville NC. The site at Statesville NC has a runway. Don't know how far it is for you.

There is an airshow in Virginia Beach every year. I don't remember a Storch being there, but they still have many planes at the event. Perhaps they could have the P-51 attack the Storch? They might have a 109 or 190 at the next one.

Offline cco23i

• Plebe
  • "Wanna play some cards?"
    • Arizona ground crew
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »
That's a bit of a drive! 0|

Scott
Msgt. Scott Dunkirk
AZGCLHU Inc.
WW2 Army air force crew chief
http://www.arizonagroundcrew.org/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/groundcrews/

Offline kestrel

• Reenactor
  • Onward Running Pups!
    • 6 Kompanie, 116 Panzer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
I don't know where anyone is located, so I'm throwing locations out there and seeing what sticks. My best guess is that StorchFlieger is somewhere in the northeast, and depending on where, it could be a couple hours by air or half a day. And I am not familar with Lara. I'm guessing it is a site or organization.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
Hessen Antique (aff)