1800-1865
The American Civil War
1870-1900
World War I
World War II
1946-Present

Add a Reenacting Unit Link button art

EMC Militaria micro ad

How to Re-Size Photos for posting on this site.

Marsh's Blog

This site is Gunny Approved
Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: New Reenacting Society (Maybe)  (Read 4277 times)

Offline got5kids

• Boot
New Reenacting Society (Maybe)
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:53:02 AM »
 have the kernel of an idea. How about a renacting association dedicated soley to the Eastern Front, 1939-45? Forget the bulletproof BofB guys. How 'bout a reenacting society for the hard core WW2 buff who knows where the conflict was really decided? Whaddya think? I know the numbers of Ivans would have to come way up, but by all accounts those that are out there are pretty serious and bring a lot to the table at events? Maybe some of the Brits, whom I also think do a nice job, could be convinced to pick up a Russkie impression? Could you see the looks on the faces of the GI's if those damn Nazees just stopped showing up? I bet their bullshite would stop then!! 8)

Tom

Offline ssnord

• Boot
    • 6 SS Nord
Re: New Reenacting Society (Maybe)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »
First- Whats the general area?

Second- I dont think limiting your orginization to one theater is a good idea

third- if you are doing this to keep the bullshite out, I think you will be disappointed

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 09:35:05 PM »
if you are doing this to keep the bullshite out, I think you will be disappointed

Sadly, I think this is true, and will be your biggest problem.  You will find yourself knee deep in politics within a year no matter how hard you try to stay out of it.

If you do try, I wish you the very best of luck. Sometimes in life you just have to try something new and see if it works. 

Robb
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:47:54 AM by Sturmkatze »

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 10:33:28 PM »
I just think we need networking, communication, and cooperation between German and Soviet units to make things happen. A while back, a bunch of the RKKA commanders were discussing an organized effort to run Eastern front events, and as far as I can tell, it fizzled out. Might be wrong... they called it STAVKA (after the original Red Army Supreme Command).

That's what sucks about what I term an "all-volunteer civilian army" like what reenactors are. It's fate is anchored in the whims and trends of it's membership, not based in what should really be most of the time. If that were true, we'd see an Eastern front battle consisting of 300 Soviets and 100 Germans made up of 80-90 Heer and 10-20 Waffen-SS. The occasional 5 Luftwaffe guys.

What I would do is try to encourage ALL reenactors, especially yourselves, to get a Soviet kit. Not only that, join up with existing, quality RKKA units, or barring that, form them... just DO IT RIGHT. Correct kit, and research. We in the glorious Red Army also need to start recruiting with posters in hobby shops, militaria show tables, etc, as well as the internet. Get people into it, and get people that are going to be dedicated to doing it right... this will only foster others to do the same. Before you know it, the Soviets will start outnumbering even the Waffen-SS  ;) Encouraging the acquisition of Soviet vehicles might also serve to bolster the interest.... if other reenactors start seeing that the RKKA has a cool ride, then that might make the "evil commie" side that much more appealing!
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »
A lot of the problem is, many people who really like the Soviets are real Communists or leftists and the idea of owning a gun causes them to get all freaked out and flustered. Now mind you, many of these same people I have met and know are great people -- i just don't agree w/ their politics.

Anyway, as far as the idea of an Eastern Front org goes, WHY NOT? Like he said, the reason to limit it, is to keep out the "Band of Heroes," the bulletproof ones, etc. If you don't wish to join, don't. If however, it takes off and Western Front languishes like it is now and you only have crap events to attend, then fine too, don't cry to me.

If someone puts forth the effort to build an Eastern Front Org, AWESOME?they can do what they want?nice thing about being one of the good guys vs. being one of the allies is we can do both fronts :-0

And please remember there Betty, all this I write is MY OPINION, so don't get your panties all in a wad. The nice thing about being an American is we can disagree!
~Marsh
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)