Forum > WWII Civilian Area

Civilians in WW2 tactical events

<< < (4/5) > >>

marloes:
Thats why here in europe people are making a bigger and bigger difference of Reenactment and Living History.
In the nearly 10 years ive been doing living history I've only shot a gun twice and that was just to see what it was like, not as part of the display.
I have only done 2 events that were not public.
Everything we do is about education and about the public.
Besides that authenticity and experiencing history the way it was (ish) is 99% of the fun.
50% of the things I carry with me are never seen by the public, but I want them to be there, for me.
Like some paperwork.

I am sure we can think of lots of ways to involve civvies authentically into a strategical event.
It would be great if there were more 100% civilian living history groups.
As far as I know were the only one out there, besides a german group thats mainly civilian.

Philonivs Maximvs:
There's a loose Volkssturm unit and a homefront women's group here in the Midwest US, but that's all I know of. I'll be doing Volkssturm in December in fact, up at Ft. Custer (the new HRS Nat'l). Once the 15 rounds are spent, I'm walking back home to get the kids & make for the American lines!  :laugh:

Oskar_2ndChev:
Just to throw in my two cents worth- I think it would be a great idea and a great alternative from the usual "bang-bang-shoot-'em up" that's so typical of WWII events. Not that I mind the occassional fireworks but the older I get, the less interesting that is. However, all too often, civilian impressions are put together by people as a "cheap and easy" way to be able to attend an event. To me, in order for really do a proper civilian impression, it has to be done right and it takes work. It's not something that should be done in a half-assed manner.

That said, I'm open to anyone wanting to do a good civilian impression although it's kind of problematic in a combat zone (unless you have it carefully worked out).

I've always liked the stuff that Marloes (aka Ms. Joeri) does- from the website, it looks awesome although I'd hate to be the one with the German impression.  ;D  I hope someday I can witness or participate in one of her events (although I don't know a word of Dutch but I can learn fast!  :D).

Anyway, it's a good idea that should be explored more.

marloes:
Yes its a shame the civilian/resistance impression has such a bad reputation.
This is mainly because people who havent got enough money to buy a proper outfit think its a cheap way of joining in the fun.
They think a 50s dress is 'good enough' and modern shoes look fine...
Not to mention the men who like to bring their girlfriend or wife along and dont put the money and effort into getting them a proper outfit.
Civilian/resistance is or should be a proper living history impression just like any other impression! :police:

Oskar_2ndChev:
Not to mention the men who like to bring their girlfriend or wife along and dont put the money and effort into getting them a proper outfit.

Ah, that species of creature known as the press-ganged reenactor! Often seen, especially at Civil War events. WWII isn't my wife's thing but any excuse to go Edwardian and she'll be there in an instant!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version