This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Newbie from Missouri  (Read 5574 times)

Offline kala83

• Boot
Newbie from Missouri
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »
hello there my name is Sarah I am a newbie to the world of reenactment...I just did my first event this last weekend. In Mexico,MO as a saloon girl(whom I have not come up with a name for just yet)...which turned out very nicely actually. I am interested in getting into WW2 reenactment too! I would really like to do a female military officer..and have already found a group out of my home town that I can join up with.
I have also been doing Renaissance Festivals for quite a while now..I am involved in one in St.Louis were I am planning to play a lady of the court, and I am also involved in the Central Missouri Renaissance Festival where I play a Japanese Noble Lady, and I also pay a wench/female pirate/alchemist by the name of Angelica.
And I am a little involved in KCRF as well.
A little about my self I live in Columbia, MO  I attend college and am studying Middle School English Education...which I plan on using to pursue a career in teaching english in Japan. I am a big History buff I really like European, Asian and American History and thats pretty much how I got more and more interested in reenactment the periods of American History I like the most are....The Civil War,The old West, 1920's, 40's,50's and 60's
As far as other time periods I am into...I really like, the French Revolution, Victorian England, Elizabethan England and the Renaissance, Middle Ages, The Edo period an Meji period of England...and the late 18th century around the time period of Jane Austin.
lol thats about all I can think of to say I really hope to enjoy my stay here, hopefully you all can help me with getting my costumes ready for my new role in doing a WW2 part....I am kind of clueless as what to do and could use some advise for sure!

Offline 416RifleRgt

• Plebe
  • My excuse? Well I was abused by Caribou.
    • 416th Rifle Regt, 112th Rifle Division
Re: Newbie from Missouri
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »
Hello Sarah.

Glad you had a good time at Mexico.  My fiance and I were there also.  We were the post war soviets sandwiched in between the WWII soviets and the Vietnam Display Camp.  Mexico is a great event and always one I enjoy having made it 3 out of the last 4 years.  Twice as WWII and now as post war.

I highly encourage folks in the area to attend this liittle gem of an event held in September each year.  It's a fun one.

On the advice for uniforms for WWII bit, I would advise you to join a unit.  Folks that tend to buy before joining end up having to re-buy when they join a unit.  If that makes sense.  Happened to me back when I started Civil War 14 years ago, and I have seen it happen more often than not.  Join a unit, see what they require and go from there.  Once that basic impression is taken care of then expand into whatever else interests you.  There are lots of interesting impressions for WWII.

Welcome to WWII and I hope you enjoy it.

-dave
Konstantin Vasilyevich Kotelnikov
244th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment
27th Guards Motorized Rifle Division
Soviet Army - Cold War

Join the Soviet Collectors & Reenactors Board: http://rkkacr.proboards99.com/index.cgi

Offline cheekyactress

• Passion for History...no matter what time it is!
  • Reenactor
  • Member:Archangel Crew & Kishwaukee VVC Wild West
    • The Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
Hi Sara!

Looks like you have a ton on interests up and down the time line!  There is a lot here to choose from, that is for sure!  I see that you had fun this past weekend...and seeing that you are in MO and do wild west events.  There is the old cowtown museum in Wichita, Kansas that isn't too far away.  Here's the link. http://oldcowtown.org/index.cfm

As for WWII Events, just did one myself and had a ball.  Welcome again and stay for a bit!

Cheeky

Offline kala83

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:27:09 AM »
Hi Sara!

Looks like you have a ton on interests up and down the time line!  There is a lot here to choose from, that is for sure!  I see that you had fun this past weekend...and seeing that you are in MO and do wild west events.  There is the old cowtown museum in Wichita, Kansas that isn't too far away.  Here's the link. http://oldcowtown.org/index.cfm

As for WWII Events, just did one myself and had a ball.  Welcome again and stay for a bit!

Cheeky
Wow that museum looks really cool! I am thinking me and the BF might want to go and check that out some time since I go up to KS (mostly in the Lenexa area ) quite often to visit him. He is also getting into cowboy kind of stuff like I am and is planning on making a Gambler type of character...I think he was thinking of doing the name Whiskey Jack. It should be a ton of fun to go and play around with him...at these events too!
Well like I said I have decided on a group to join up with for the WWII I think its Rail Splitters? I have the page book marked but that info is at my house on my laptop at the moment I will come back in later tonight and post up the link to the unit I am looking at joining as of right now.

I am aslo interested in joining a Civil War group doing a younger Southern bell kind of character, but I have no idea what kind of groups are around in the midwest area or for that matter Missouri...so if anyone knows anything and can help me with finding something I would really love the help and assitance.

Offline draco63701

• Boot
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:17:07 PM »
Glad to hear from another Missourian, even if it's the other side of the state.  Hope you enjoy yourself up there.  Glad to have you on board.