This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Poll

Would you be willing to see more universally-accepted safety rules at events?

Very much so
9 (69.2%)
A few would be good
4 (30.8%)
Don't care... just here to drink & bust caps!
0 (0%)
Fewer rules = freedom
0 (0%)
Hell no! Who cares what others think, I'm the safest person I know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 14, 2007, 11:24:32 PM

Author Topic: Safety poll  (Read 7499 times)

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
Safety poll
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:24:32 PM »
Just a little poll to see where people stand on safety issues in the hobby.
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Re: Safety poll
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 12:59:15 AM »
Safety issues include all types in behavioral which could lead to actual breaking the law.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 12:59:15 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
Indeed!

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:02:15 AM »
Best safety briefing I ever saw was at the WWII Newville event last year.  They were serious and you knew it.

Small incidents are always going to happen, but the large hazards can be avoided.  I have been toying with the idea of doing a demonstration of how dangerous blanks can be at events for the safety inspection in the morning. You would be surprised how dangerous they can be.

I voted "Very Much So".

Robb

• Trooper
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:29:12 PM »
Cool....

I saw a demonstration of just the rifle blanks one time that consisted of the organizer shooting point-blank into a sheet of paper.... it of course disintegrated the paper, and made a few eyelids do weird things. Something like that should be done!

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 04:11:28 AM »
I am trying to find the right medium to do this. Paper is too thin but I don't need have any more room in the vehicles to carry anything large.

I am thinking about a milk jug with water dyed red at this point.  It is pretty tough, has some resiliency to it and will make a good display when it flies back a couple feet and ruptures.  I use a similar display with live ammo for the kids and they get the point that guns can do some serious damage.  I have launched a Helmet several feet as well. The foam head that it was on took massive damage.  Both might work. 

You would be surprised how many guys have never fired their weapons with live ammo and have no idea what they can do live or with blanks.

Robb

• Trooper
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:11:21 PM »
Ah, the jug idea is good!

I think that everyone (if they can... obviously in some lands it's impossible) should go out on a live shoot at least once to get a feel of what the weapons do. I know that one of the LAH members in Richmond, IN had a shoot at his property, might be an annual affair now.

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:49:45 PM »
You would be very surprised at how many guys have never fired their weapons live.  When you show them the power of a MBR round of the time especially compared to a modern round people are dumbfounded.  When they feel the real recoil of the weapon you hear about it for weeks.

Blanks can kill a person with a head shot inside 5 yards.  A shot into origional glass (non-safety glass) can be a bloody fatal mess for all in the vehicle. 

I have been ridiculed by the internet commandos for firing into vehicle glass to prove a point, but without a visual most simply don't get the idea that this crap can be dangerous.  I would love to do the glass demonstration at each event as well, but the mess and danger to myself even with proper protective gear is not practical.

Robb

• Trooper
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 10:48:47 PM »
I would think that just shooting a jug of water with a blank and have it disintegrate should be enough to wake a few folks up.

This is another reason I am in favor again of starting the event with everyone (both sides) assembled, and have the event organizers brief and inspect everyone at once. I used to be in favor of starting each side off on opposite ends, not knowing who you'll be facing until the battle, but one big briefing works better. Besides, if each side is segregated, the vendors can't effectively sell their wares, and pre- and post-battle camaraderie between sides is killed. What we need is a little more unity and sharing of ideas!

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 10:48:47 PM »
Hessen Antique (aff)