This site is Gunny Approved

Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: Immersive Events  (Read 20269 times)

Offline Hohenstaufen

• Boot
Immersive Events
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:20 AM »
Just wanted to see how everyone feels about 24 hour immersive type events.  I love them and our unit is thinking of doing one next fall.  Any suggestions?

Russ
9th SS

Offline prgeyer

• Plebe
    • 5e Regiment Infanterie
Re: Immersive Events
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:21 PM »
I personally think they're key to really getting into your impression.  However, I think all too often people think that this means you should be in combat for 24 consecutive hours.  I think it would be much more useful to portray troops that see an occasional skirmish, but otherwise spend their time performing the basic tasks that soldiers in the field would be engaged in far more frequently: patrols, posting guard, cooking, mending kit, digging holes, marching, all in a period frame of mind and using period materials.  Granted, I've never been a great lover of tacticals as they seem pretty cheesy most of the time.  But my absolute best moments in reenacting have been sitting in a foxhole or a trench in the middle of a cold night, with flares occasionally arcing overhead, trying to keep my eyes and ears open for an enemy that may or may not be coming.

Peter Geyer
IR104
IR63 (WW1) http://www.ir63.org
IR104 (WW2) http://members.aol.com/soldaten/ir104.html
16 Dywizja Piechoty (WW2)
2nd Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment (WW2)
9th Infantry Division 34th Regiment Constanta (WW2) http://9thromanian.com

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:21 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline h?lz21pz

• Boot
    • 21st Panzer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:24:55 PM »
I concur with what is said above. Generally you're going to find that there will be long lulls in the action. Let's face it the common soldier dealt alot more with boredom, fatigue, cold, wet, hot weather. 24 hour battles usually have many of those elements innertwined with a few patrols and/or attacks by enemy probes or even all out assaults.  Then there comes the night time. A whole other world where every bush seems to be a person and you're battling to stay awake and warm at the same time.  Then all of a suden BOOOM, you're getting hit by the enemy. Good stuff.  My only suggestion is that you have your commanders actually have some sort of plan or goal for the weekend beyone just shooting at the enemy as much as possible. It really helps when all elements are on the same page. I know easier said then done, but it can really turn into a weekend of cowboys and indians if there is no real plan that is stuck to. Oh, and come up with a watch through the night. One or two guys can't fend off attacks if the enemy comes in strength and 3/4 of your force is asleep. Plan that well before dark. Have fun!
-Marcus

Offline Hohenstaufen

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:14:21 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  You both make good points, definately don't want cowboys and Indians.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »
It would bring out the true reenactors who are doing it for the right reasons (not coming to have a frat party all weekend long). Might want to think about doing an East Meets West event which would allow you to possible have the betters units from all sides attend.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline Stigroadie

• Boot
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 05:51:58 AM »
We have a 36hr full immersion Russian front event this weekend in the UK. There will be checks on kit with FG checking passes and soldbuch. Only allowed to use what you carry in, so foxholes and blankets for most. It's only 36hrs, the poor guys did it day after day after day. Should be a good one.

Dave1928a1

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:14:11 AM »
Our unit has done some well thought out immersion events. We could use only what we could carry in. But we use a jeep and it makes it much easier.It is very interesting to dig a hole and live in it for a short period of time,its amazing how well you can do with feild inprovised cover for a fox hole and how comfortable it can be .But it is important when the weather decides to work with you instead of against you. In the 22 years I have been doing WWll I have stayed out in all types of weather.  I would rather deal with cold rather than hot weather for a Immersion tactial you can only take so much off to stay cool .Our unit does US (Big Red One) and Axis (9th SS) we endever to use what was in common use during the period we are portraying . We cook period food the way it was cooked by the common front line guy.We carry the basics ammo,water,food no sleeping bags no tents.A blanket,shelter half,or Zelt and we make do. And we alway have a blast. We have done good events at Torrance Pa., Custer Mi.,Camden Ohio. They are worth the extra time that is needed to prepare for the event.

Dave

Offline marloes

• Plebe
    • The Netherlands 1940-1945, Study and Living History Group
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »
I think they are brilliant, more of those please.
I wrote the guidelines (see signature) to make people interact more authentic and help them think about acting out a role.
In our group everyone has to write a biography about who they are, this too helps.

Authentic Radiobroadcasts for your display;
http://www.joeri.net/radiofiles

Offline odinfish

• Boot
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »
This is actually what appeals to me most about living history. Skirmishing is great fun too but is a minor part of the role the common Landser experienced. Granted I only do WWII Airsoft-enacting due to my personal firearm restrictions, but it is my hope that this will be the level that this hobby will ultimately reach. I really envy the reenactors and their immersion events.

Mike

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »
I have honestly never seen one.  I have heard of these events, but that is it.  I would love to try this type of event. The experience would be far different than the 6 hours and back home event.

Robb

Offline reg135ofthe45th

• Boot
    • 135 of the 45th ID
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
We did a 36 hr tactial in MD and it was awful a few years ago. The idea of sitting in a fox hole doing nothing for hours at a time is a waste. I can do that in my back yard.  I want send out patrols, find the enemy and engage them. Most of the memebrs in our unit are active duty militray or federal officers. Many of the guys do not want to spend the weekend doing a militray drill weekend.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 07:43:46 AM »
We did a 36 hr tactial in MD and it was awful a few years ago. The idea of sitting in a fox hole doing nothing for hours at a time is a waste. I can do that in my back yard.  I want send out patrols, find the enemy and engage them. Most of the memebrs in our unit are active duty militray or federal officers. Many of the guys do not want to spend the weekend doing a militray drill weekend.

I remember you telling me about this. I think if an immersion event is done correctly then it would be fun. It seems that the MD event is designed by a specific unit for their own good/needs primarily. Patrols, digging in, laying communication lines (if applicable), etc. really ehance the feeling. Some of us would love to go to such an event here in the area.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Indeed, I too am tired of the "bug hunt in the woods" tacticals. When I get really active again, I'm going to want some of that immersion! Let's do it, Midwest.....
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »
I believe I talked about this before but here it goes again. When I did Civil War we had two events like this that you are wanting. Rockton ,Ontario in the museum village and in Beaver,PA in the community Park whick was a reclamed gravel pit. We had trails with judges that walked with us. There would be different stations that everyone had to go through. One was civilians, how do you act with them, a snpier who kills off you officer,nco's, cannon hidden in ambush, hospital, ect. We had a mission to find a spy who stole blueprints to a ship.
 For WW 2 would be so easy with a tons of things to do Truck convoy gets hit, MG nests, snipers, more cilvilians stuff. ect. This was judged by points. Winners were 1st ,2nd and 3rd place.
This is what some of the BIG units should try to host,I'll help. If you know of a village muesum or park with wooded and open trails ect. This would be a event that would change peoples minds and how the act.

Pat
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
I feel we need to see more of these types of events. To actually relive the situation. However lets looks at some issues to consider:

1) Reenactors health: Will those who attend be able to do the tactical? In recent years thanks to our "healthy" lifestyles many in this area are not deemed to be fit. Large beerbellies, heart conditions, diabetes, etc. will make it difficult to play in my opinion.

2) Vehicles or no vehicles: If a unit brings a vehicle will they have enough items to service it if something happens? My biggest peeve is those units who bring vehicles that do not know how to use them properly in the field. To have a half-track zipping all over the field while infantry are sneaking up on an enemey position shows me the unit doesn't know what they are doing at all and not looking out for others. How would that be handled?

3) Weather conditions: We know the veterans didn't have a choice in dealing with the weather however what about now? If it is too cold what would be set up to deal with potential risks for example? I can honestly say that I would not walk in water if the temperature is below freezing.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
Hessen Antique (aff)