This site is Gunny Approved

Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: Today is Armistice Day  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Today is Armistice Day
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:18:33 AM »
Today is November 11th. It is Armistice Day, not "Veteran's Day," not a day to go out and screw off just because you have the day off. It is not a day to wish someone a "Happy..." on... It is a day to remember those who suffered and died in the Great War?a war that ended on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Just my 2 cents on this.
Marsh
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
Re: Today is Armistice Day
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »
Years ago, way back in grade school in the 60's, I remember it as being called Armistice Day.  When did it become fashionable to call it Veteran's Day?  For a while, the terms were interchangeable, then at some point it became simply Veteran's Day.  If I call it Armistice Day, the "kids" haven't a clue what I'm talking about....
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »
Ike changed it... not that I'm against honoring vets, I'm not, I just hate it when they weaken or de-sanctify another holiday to make a new one. I posted this elsewhere (wherein it pissed people off, of course) It always pisses me off that they never add holidays, they just change or subvert another, existing holiday. Like adding MLK's birthday... I'm in no way against that (he deserves it) -- what burns me is that they took away Lincoln's birthday and now we just have frigging "President's Day.

My grandfather fought in WWI, the Great War... I will continue to call it "Armistice Day." Wanna another example? Look how Memorial Day, a day originally set aside after the Civil War, to remember the sacrifices of soldiers (and later sailors) has now been turned into one gigantic frigging picnic and BBQ. Let's all go buy a new pair of sneakers at the mall... ||| And people don't care. Most people are too stupid to even KNOW there were two world wars, much less differentiate between them. 0| In other countries (The UK, for example) they remember the Great War, but not here. Sad. I'll stop now. :O>@
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)