Forum > The Central Powers

Pre-War Ger. uniforms

<< < (2/5) > >>

Oskar_2ndChev:
When I was doing Bavarian cavalry (2nd Chevauleger), we had to have the buttons custom made from originals. Also, because the cavalry belt buckle (if you can call it that) is also unique and completely different from what was infantry issue so that too had to be custom fabricated. At first we made our ulankas from converted Swedish greatcoats (and it looked it) and had to apply the new buttons. I never managed to get a proper ulanka made and when I finally found a source that didn't require my first born or for me to take out a second on the house, the unit had pretty much vaporized.

I did have a pre-1910 uniform made but that too was a real pain and it was difficult to source the right fabric- the only thing that helped was that I could go down to the garment district here in Downtown LA (and it helps that my wife is a wardrobe designer- refuses to touch military, says we're worse than women).  ;D

I guess the botton line here is what sort of impression do you want to do and is the effort and expense going to justify it. Only you know for sure!  ;D

Rockman:
At this point the only thing I'm sure of, I really would like to do a Prussian impression.  ( My ancestors would be spinning like lathes, if I did anything else! )  So I guess that narrows it down just a tad..... small tad....

Oskar_2ndChev:
Things will be easier if you stick to a normal infantry line regiment- no weird distinctive insignia or uniform details to deal with.

As for the German's seeming lack of centralized reference sources for uniforms (i.e. uniform regs), I'm not sure if it's my lack of knowing much German or if its really true (Marsh probably knows more on this score) but it seems as if the Germans just "knew" the regulations by osmosis or what.  ;D Most of the useful information I've come by is from the various privately printed manuals that were in abundance in Kaiserzeit Germany. One good one is the "Gut Komerad" (they made an edition for infantry and one for cavalry)- there's enough pictures and I've been able to figure out a lot of details from it.

One theory I have is that German society was so thoroughly militarized that everyone pretty much knew what needed to be done that they didn't need as many detailed manuals to explain each process as say the US where basically we were starting from nothing and had to cover everything in detail. Just a theory... ;)

Rockman:
Might there be somewhere I could get a reprint of the " Gut Kamerad "  and the Moritz Ruhl catalog?  I had a friend that had a leather bound collection of period German cigarette cards, that, if I remember right, had a pretty extensive depiction of army uniforms & unit representations included.  --Sure wish I had access to it now...... oo-P oo-P

Sturmkatze:
Great War Militaria was reproing them...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version