This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Author Topic: Questions about Himmelstoss!  (Read 7351 times)

Offline West Front 1918

• Boot
Questions about Himmelstoss!
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »

In the Movies All Quiet on the Western front, Why is Himmelstoss a Corporal in the remake and a Sergeant in the Original?

In the original film why is Himmelstoss wearing a helmet with a missing air vent lug?

In both films why is Himmelstoss always shouting about obeying him as "your superior officer" when he is an Enlisted man?

Mike

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Re: Questions about Himmelstoss!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
In the Movies All Quiet on the Western Front, Why is Himmelstoss a Corporal in the remake and a Sergeant in the Original?
Because of how they translate the title of his rank. Some (the remake in particular) use British conventions and they would call him a corporal. Here, we'd call him a Sgt. I think. Also, a goodly chunk of the problem is that they're movies and Hollywierd doesn't much care for authenticity... Have you watched Flyboys yet? Great movie... however comma, I love how the Germans are all evyil and do heinous stuff and the good allies never do :-0

Quote from: West Front 1918
In the original film why is Himmelstoss wearing a helmet with a missing air vent
In the real world, I'd say it got knocked off somewhere. As it's a movie, that's probably what the prop department had that fit his head. For a reenactor, it looks "salty."

Quote from: West Front 1918
In both films why is Himmelstoss always shouting about obeying him as "your superior officer" when he is an Enlisted man?
I'd say, mostly because it's a movie and movie geeks don't get the differences between occifers and enlistoids.
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »
So, Herr Dietz, whereforart thou? No postings, so quiet... over on the Trenchline? Post here too!
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)