This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Author Topic: Behavior at Events  (Read 43282 times)

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Behavior at Events
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:45:05 AM »
There seems to be a growing issue with behavior at events. Several individuals andor/ units are discussing these issues, not attending certain events due to them and so on. Some of the issues that have been circulating around include:

1)  individuals that appear (some people are 21 but do look 17) to be underage drinking at events and sometimes heavily to the point of falling down drunk

2)  individuals "hitting" on underage participants

3)  units attending events coming to have a frat party, begin drinking heavily Friday then going out into the  field the next day in only what only God knows what type of condition.

4)  it now seems that the use of illegal substances openly is becoming an issue

5)  it also seems that there were strippers at an event on a military establishment

6)  discharging firearms at events, after drinking, late at night on military establishments

Of course some might be rumors but some are also going to be true as well. If any of the above are true what actions should the hobby take to curb this behavior? All it would take is one person saying/doing something and the wall will come crumbling down on all of us. Almost all of us like to party and have a good time but shouldn't there be some sort of consequence for going beyond the norm? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:23:25 AM by Antonescu »
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline Heinz Varner

• Boot
  • 4th SS Polizei Division
Re: Behavior at Events
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 08:36:02 AM »
It's simple, people are pussies and won't take a stand against these type of people.
 >:(  :O>@
Maybe if the cops  :police: show up on scene and the hobby suffers, maybe then someone will stand up. oh wait then it's too late. ???
Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing.
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 08:36:02 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline tleve

• Reenactor
    • the living history alliance
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
i guess i have been lucky any event i have attended or held i have never had any problems with the people there. Well , we could always all band together and come up with some sort of "Black List " . this would let poeple know that the groups on the list showed poor behavoir at an event. maybe when they stop being invited or allowed to jion an event because of their behavior it might stop .

just my thoughts.
" No Good Deed Goes Unpunished "

Offline Heinz Varner

• Boot
  • 4th SS Polizei Division
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 02:22:52 PM »
Good luck with that. No one has the balls to say "you can't come or you are not welcome.
Hell the event coordinators are the ones with the power to do this. But they seem to think if they do their events will suffer.

I think just the opposite would be true. Ban the idiots, regardless of who they are, and more will come.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing.
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline tleve

• Reenactor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »
i have truned people way , not for behavior but because we didn't have any more room ,  and it just made them wanted to came the next year. if your event is a good event the "good : groups will came back and in the end be thankful for the kind of event you are running.

i think every one has to stop thinking and saying "if you say no , others wouldn't came " i agree with Frundsberg ban them and others , hopefully more true reenactors will take their place.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »
Yes, most likely they should be banned but like Frundsberg stated no one has the nerve to do so. Why not? Maybe due to number of members or the type of toys they bring. Some of the toys are rented by units from individuals so maybe the person owning them should take them away as well. If you do a "Blacklist" should it be open or public? If you make it public then they would most likely come after or start trouble with the units/individuals who are doing it. It seems this behavior is more common in WWII with certain individuals and units. Another option is for like minded units to ban together and boycott the events that the individuals/units in question are attending which might send a message to the Event Coordinators.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)

Offline tleve

• Reenactor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
so true . people have to start banning together . otherwise it makes us all look bad. Poeple will not respect the reenactoring / living history communty if there are groups or indiviuals who are showing bad taste. as for the list again , if you can't take some heat for makeing your events better , then why do them . I know " easier said then done " . :)

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 07:58:22 AM »
Exactly, if like minded units stick together then events will change. Of course some things might be rumors but some are most likely true. No one is saying not to have a good time but somethings have really gotten out of hand in the last couple of years in some locations. It might actually take something bad to happen before 90% of reenactors take action.

Offline Poilu

• Boot
  • Why?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »
I dunno. I like to drink at events -- I don't get sit-faced falling down drunk, but it can be fun. Also, why not have fun at the party after the battle -- no one get's hurt right? What's the problem. I agree about illegal drugs, but really... aren't we all adults?

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:13:28 AM »
I dunno. I like to drink at events -- I don't get sit-faced falling down drunk, but it can be fun. Also, why not have fun at the party after the battle -- no one get's hurt right? What's the problem. I agree about illegal drugs, but really... aren't we all adults?

I drink as well plus do most reenactors but to the point of falling down drunk ??? Plus people have seen underage drinking as well. Saturday night is fine to party but some units start as soon as they arrive before they have pitched the first stake for their tents.

These issues are not being held to just the private tactical like Odessa. They are being seen more often at the Gap and apparently at some of the living history events as well. Rumor or truth? Who actually knows but the issues are floating around and are needed to be discussed instead of keeping mum and hope it goes away.

Offline HeinzVarnisher

• Boot
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »
Well, what is one to do exactly?

Drinking and reenacting seem to go hand in hand.  Me, I don't drink much, but I have seen others that do like to tip the bottle back and get hammered.  I don't understand it, but then again, there isn't much I can do about it, especially if they are not in my unit. 

Individuals hitting on underage participants?  Is there a pedofile problem in the hobby?  If so, then there needs to be some serious police involvement.

Underage drinking should not be allowed or encouraged, but its hardly like reenacting is the cause or the only place that it happens.  I read in the local paper all the time in the Police Blotter section about kids underage getting arrested for drinking.   I remember back to when I was a kid, we drank a lot of times underage.  Certainly, when kids are away from their folks, they will push the limits.  Alcohol needs to be kept away from them, thats for sure.  But I don't think reencating is the cause of it.

Drugs of any sort have no place at a reenactment.  I would have serious issue if their use was "open" at an event.  Who is doing this and where is this taking place?

Strippers at a military base?  Oh, heaven forbid!  Jeez, when I was in the service, we had strippers and worse on a regular basis.  While I would not enocurage this, I don't think this is that big a deal, really.

Firing of weapons after drinking is dumb.  But that is the problem you get when you combine al lot of drinking with weapons, and guys all pumped up on testestone I guess.  They can't control themselves.

Where are these activitis taking place at?  What units allow this kind of stuff to happen?  I have to figure that eventually, their actions will catch up to them, and they will be caught/penalized.  The best thing you can do is avoid them, don't bunk or camp near them, and keep your distance.  Water seeks its own level, and eventully, this kind of stuff will either make the guilty units move on, or clean up there axe.  You are right, talking to event organizers is pointles, they don't want to turn anyone away, it means less money in their pocket.  So, I guess the best thing to do is expose these units for everyone to see, and then shun and blackball them as much as possible until they get the hint.

Offline tleve

• Reenactor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »

but isn't that the piont ? are these poeple really acting like adults??  No one might haave been hurt yet doesn't mean that it wouldn't happen , reenacting has enough problems , we really don't need something to happen and get bad press .

Offline HeinzVarnisher

• Boot
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
So, which units are engaging in this kind of stuff?  I want to know, so I can avloid them.  Let's air it out, and put the heat on them.  Anyone?  Antonescu, are there specific units you are talking about?  If so, do us all a public service and let us know who the bad appels are.

Offline strangepair03

• Boot
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »
So, which units are engaging in this kind of stuff?  I want to know, so I can avloid them.  Let's air it out, and put the heat on them.  Anyone?  Antonescu, are there specific units you are talking about?  If so, do us all a public service and let us know who the bad appels are.

As a newbie to this hobby, I think this is the right thing to do.  We are all adults and as someone looking for a unit to join, this is the kind of info I need to make a good choice.  I am an Officer and need to make sure the unit I choose will not get me "jammed up" in my professional life. (As I am sure none of you do either)
John Strangeway

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »

As a newbie to this hobby, I think this is the right thing to do.  We are all adults and as someone looking for a unit to join, this is the kind of info I need to make a good choice.  I am an Officer and need to make sure the unit I choose will not get me "jammed up" in my professional life. (As I am sure none of you do either)

Yes, I do have an idea on the units in this area who participate in such behavior. However unless you are doing German it will not affect you per say as an individual looking for a unit to join. If you have been to events here in the NY, NJ, PA area then pretty sure you have seen these units/individuals. As for listing them, I am going to see about the concensus from others as well. Proof is there but who else is going to speak up?

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)