This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: The Search for Missing Hats  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Captain VonFitch

• Boot
The Search for Missing Hats
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:18:18 PM »
Hello all,

I don't know if this is the right part of the forum to be posting in, so if I am in error, my bad.
I'm goning to take a stab in the dark here. Figured this would be a good place to inquire.

Last month on the way back from Gen Con in Indianapollis (the largest game convention in North America. Yes I am a geek at heart   :P) a bag with some of my best historical hats and costuming bits disappeared. Completly up and vanished.
I don't know if I mislaid it somewhere, or if it was taken, or if it somehow dropped out of my jeep on the way home. The odd thing was that I was keeping tabs on it to make sure that this sort of thing wouldn't happen. As far as I knew all was well. It wasn't until later when I was going through my stuff that I found the bag missing. It was a big shock to say the least. Sadly my efforts to date to find it have proved nill. Calls to hotels, friends, and other sources have come up with nothing. Since the hats I lost are of a historical nature, I thought I would ask here and see if anything might come up.

Here is a list of the major items I remember being in the bag.

-A Repro Civil War Berdan's Sharpshooters Officer's Kepi.
This hat was one of the best kepi's I've ever come across. The unique thing about it is that it was made from a high quality woven wool uniform material as opposed to the typical felt material that's used often. It is lined with black broadcloth, has a leather chinstrap with brass buckle and buttons. No insignia.

-A pair of "current manufacture" Halcyon WWII RAF style flight goggles
These specs are your typical looking RAF style flight goggles seen in many a movie. The most noteworthy part about them is that the metal parts are in a dark turquoise color.

-A black tricorn hat
This was a hat blank I was trying to turn into a tricorn. It's pretty generic and was in the process of being formed, the brim being temporarily held up with large saftey pins. A "work in progress" as it were.

-A well worn WWII "Repro" Waffen SS 44 Dot camo M41 hat
Yes it's one of those dastardly "farb" hats that may or may not have truly existed historically. Which is why I had it. I love historical enigmas. It was made from HBT Dot 44 material, covered leather bill, and brown cotton lining.

And the one I'm really smartin' over,
-A Lost Batallions WWII Kreigsmarine Junior Officer U-Boat Captain's hat.
This is the one hat who's loss truly pains me. This is a hat I've been wanting to get for ages, however I was unable to buy it. I finally got one as a present for my birthday. At Gen Con it garnered a lot of intrest, and brought me a lot of complements. Sadly it like the others is gone. It was in a size 57 with the stiffeners taken out. I was putting a proper crush on it at the time. It's fairly new looking however there was a small slightly noticable smudge on the top of the cap. Here is a link to what it looks like.

http://www.lostbattalions.com/german33-45/kriegsmarine/KMJrVisorCap.html

I was very proud of that hat, and Im sad to see it gone. :'(

I am currently living in Northwest Arkansas outside of Bentonville. My trip home went through Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri.
As I said, there is the possibility (though I feel it's very unlikely) that it fell out along the way. Truthfully though, anything could have happened.
If anyone out there happens to find out something, or has any suggestions on how I can find my stuff please reply here or drop me a line at harlequinn42@hotmail.com

Much Thanks,

Ford

Offline historymuseum2000

• Plebe
  • "A noble heart embiggens the smallest man"
    • II. FJR. 6
Re: The Search for Missing Hats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »
Man that sucks!! If someone took it out of your jeep somewhere on the long trek home they most likely had no real idea what they were and thought they were all original.

( A friend of mine had his Luftwaffe M43 bluse plus some other gear swiped from the back of his truck, when it was parked in front of his house)

It might be too late now, but it is worth a shot, but you can always stake out EBAY and the likes to see if the bastard put them up for sale.

Sorry to hear about that, hope they return!

Lee
Lee Drake

Jaeger Leopold Kloepper 7./FJR.6