Forum > Off-Topic Stuff

Bringing back the draft?

<< < (2/2)

Philonivs Maximvs:
Saigon, maybe. But what are we going to do, stay there and let 2-10 soldiers A DAY get killed?? I know, it's nowhere the loss of life as say, the eastern front WW2, but it will wear us thin psychologically if not in numbers (which is already happening, with suicide rates and mental problems in general). I truly do hope that our presence there has made a positive impact to people of Iraq... they must have. But there will always be those that hate us, see us as the invader.

Maybe that's why Afghanistan hasn't been the big target of American deployment all this time... they might very well have him. True, he would be a martyr!

We pulled out of Saigon, and the world didn't end. People in South Vietnam had to weather a couple decades of oppression, but they're starting to climb out of it. The US weathered it's own civil war too, without outside intervention (what would have happened if the Brits came over to "babysit" us in 1861, then rebuild us??). I think the Iraqis can do the same themselves.

groomporter:
Bringing back a draft would just bring back major anti-war protests as we saw during Vietnam. In a discussion of the draft on public radio earlier this year they reported that when things were at their worst during Vietnam there were even cases of drill sargents anonymously beaten in the middle of the night by draftees during basic training. The army would prefer to continue on with a volunteer force that -wants- to serve/defend their country even if they don't agree with the current administration.

At least when we pulled out of Saigon we didn't have to worry about the Viet Cong coming to our shores to attack us here, but  if Al Qaida, and/or the Taliban gains a foothold after we leave Iraq it is a larger worry. So as far as maintaining some kindof peace  we are "stuck between Iraq and a hard place."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version