This site is Gunny Approved

Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: Perhaps a dumb question  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Poilu

• Boot
  • Why?
Perhaps a dumb question
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »
Why does there appear to be so much fighting between the respective Allied units? It seems that the people portraying each nationality believe that they truly ARE that nationality and thus behave in a certain way. What gives? You would think our side would be closer together like the Germans are.

Any thoughts on this? @WW

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
Re: Perhaps a dumb question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
I have found that a lot of it is about one unit stealing recruits from another. Where I am in California, there are far fewer people doing Allied impressions and competition sometimes gets intense.
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:50 PM »
Partially, I think but many just seem to think they are of that nationality... a little whacky. To each their own, but then I do GERMAN, not Allied.  (^)
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
The problem we get is that we get a lot of people coming out of WWII who see doing WWI German as another way to get their Third Reich on without the "political issues". But that's just me....  :)

Unfortunately, people get carried away by the whole Stormtropper mystique to the exclusion of all else.
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry

Offline sgt-maj

• Boot
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
I'd like to give my opinion on why it is that those portraying certain nationalities act the way they do.

My main impression is The British Tommy... mainly because I am English. Naturally, I can portray the period caractor to perfection, and others of my unit take their lead from me. Its an act, and all a part of a full immersion into the national caractor. I feel that for most people, to actually act out the mannerisms of the national impression they have chosen... is all a part of the enjoyment of doing that particular impression. Its all about 'getting it right'. Getting the feel for the part. Think of it this way... the individual is rehearsing for an audition, in order to get the part of a certain caractor in a play. To get everything right... clothing, mannerisms, speach... all adds to the chances of getting the part.

To my way of thinking, I expect those who portray French.. to act the part, Germans to act likewise and so on. It all adds to the realism of the event... the pariod authenticty... the accuracy. Just getting the uniform and equipment details right.. is only a part of reenacting.

Thats just my view!  :)

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
Hessen Antique (aff)