This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: 2011 - 1854 Crimean War 93rd Reg't of Foot the Sutherland Highlanders  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Balaklava

• Trooper
  • 93rd Sutherland Highlanders 1854 Crimean War
Ladies & Gents, announcing that the 93rd Highlanders, of Balaclava fame, will be displaying during these two upcoming events:

First - Marching Thru Time military timeline in Glendale, MD, on April 16 & 17, 2011.

Second - The Southern MD Highland Games in Prince Frederick, MD, see website at cssm.org,  the oldest Celtic festival in MD celebrating its 33rd year, on April 30, 2011.

Come by and say hello ! Click on my screen name & go to profile pics to see sampling of uniform and equipment.

Cheers, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1812-1858.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:35:52 PM by Sturmkatze »
*Please consider the environment before printing*

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Re: 2011 - 1854 Crimean War 93rd Reg't of Foot the Sutherland Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
Do you have a unit website? Like to see that. Alas, MTT is always held the same weekend as WWI, so... many of us can't make it.  >:(
Best, Marsh
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Balaklava

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
Hey Marsh. Unit is www.93rdhighlanders.com, I am likely the only east coast member. The Crimean / Indian Mutiny impressions are new this year, I'm jazzed. MTT just got a new site manager and no fees this year to reenactors / living historians. I stopped going when the last lady thought we should pay $20 a head to attend. ***I always wanted to get up to see WW1 (Newville?) but I hear that is not a spectator event. Best to you Sir,

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:53:16 AM by Balaklava »

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
Hey Marsh. Unit is www.93rdhighlanders.com, I am likely the only east coast member.
Do we have your unit listed here on r.Net??

The Crimean / Indian Mutiny impressions are new this year, I'm jazzed.
Cool!! ;)
MTT just got a new site manager and no fees this year to reenactors / living historians. I stopped going when the last lady thought we should pay $20 a head to attend.

That is just INSANE -- they make money OFF the reenactors and THEN, think they should charge us. I bet she's the idiot that killed Roman Days there too. I'll tell you, if it wasn't for reenactors, Marietta WOULD have become townhouses. These modern day, new age governmental ding dongs will be the ruin of history. No, I wasn't allowed to tell her my feelings, nor go to her boss. Some people should just be fired for being stupid! 0|

***I always wanted to get up to see WW1 (Newville?) but I hear that is not a spectator event.
Nay, it is not. Still what stops you? Wanna come out w/ the good guys or do you HAVE to be a Brit?? :) Event is next week... come to the dark side... we have fun.
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Balaklava

• Trooper
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
About Marietta, Susan Wolfe was the site manager for about 20 years until 2007 or so, was our dearest friend but she retired and we won't get another one like her there. Then we got Ms. Susan Reidy for a couple years but all she was interested in was her own official status. Charging reenactors you say ? Ms. Reidy spent her Maryland National Capitol Park and Planning Commision, Prince Georges County Maryland, budget money on big upgrades within her office space in the mansion. She got a full kitchen, new twin powder rooms, remodeled office and brand new flooring & furniture among other things. A pitiful self centered pretentious person is the kindest thing I will say. That's why reenactors were to foot the event bills. I went to a planning meeting for last years event and sat in the back. She had the hook in way deep in all the reenactors in the room. It's like they were hooked on reenacting crack and Reidy was the dealer. I can't believe reenactors go for this kind of crap. Once a new site manager starts this poo it does not end. To the last MTT event I went to when Reidy was new I took over 25K of WW2 kit, a restored 1942 Canadian CMP truck, a gas powered Vickers MG and all the stuff that goes with it as well as original 1942 canvas. Next year all reenactors were being charged the fees and I took a powder. Now Reidy is gone and a Ms. Mary Amen is site manager. She has been very friendly and thorough in the email organizing the upcoming MTT event. There are no fees for reenactors or spectators now. I look forward to attending this years event - which is next weekend. So no WW1 for me right now.   

93rd Reg't of Foot Sutherland Highlanders Living History Unit should definately be on Reenactor.net but this organization is the creation of the senior officer, Mr. Benton Jennings of California, and he should make the application. I will send an email to him and appraise of your query & invite.

Cheerio, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1812-1858.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:55:12 PM by Balaklava »

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
Yeah, I'll agree... Susan Wolfe was GREAT, but the next one (Reidy)... ack, she was/is a ding-dong. When she started off against reenactors, I was wanting to write her boss. What a stupid idiot, but all the Roman Days people were like "Oh, that will make it worse.." Horse pucky. She should have been FIRED. It's people like her that sink historical sites -- Hell, people like her have sank America.

Hopefully, someone saw how she was and DID fire her. Of course, probably, she just got promoted to a spot to waste MORE money on her pretentious self. |||

Hopefully, the new site manager will be able to repair some of the damage Reidy caused. I know for SURE, I will not ever pay for a living history event where they make money off ME. That's BULLshite! ..O

Well, maybe in the Fall. WWI will still be there ;)
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Offline Balaklava

• Trooper
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
*AAR for Marching Thru Time 2011 - Well, it rained .... & rained & rained on Saturday 4-16-11. But the sunny dawn on Sunday 4-17-11 was glorious. Over 100 reenactors from all time periods Roman 10th century to modern times endured the very wet weather & high winds. It was a real test for the canvas. The crowds were out and massed us in our displays on Sunday. I drew quite a crowd multiple times when speaking about the siege of Sebastopol, the 3 major land battles of the Crimean War, the poor conditions the British soldiers had to endure the first winter, poor command, etc. This was the first time out with the 93rd Highlanders Crimean War period impression. Found a few hippups and inconsistancies that I will buff up before the S.MD.Highland Games in 2 weeks. I am jazzed ! Stuck a few pics in my profile for the curious.

Cheerio, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1812-1858.   

Offline Balaklava

• Trooper
***AAR for S. MD. Highland Games 2011. Wonderful weather and huge crowds. NO RAIN ! The impression was a hit. Took many photos with admirers and drank a lot of free beer, mostly Skull Splitter. The massed bands at the opening ceremony was awesome. Thanks for reading along. See my photo page for S MD Highland Games pics.