This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Author Topic: anyone interested in hitler youth?  (Read 19941 times)

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
anyone interested in hitler youth?
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »
I'm thinking about planning an event for next summer. A hitler youth summer camp weekend. It would basically be a reenactment of the summer camps that the HJ went to. It would be for adults who want to roleplay HJ or BDM. Just wondering if anyone here would be interested in that sort of thing? Maybe you want to help me organize it?

Let me know.

--Twilight
XOXOXO

Offline Huntar

• Plebe
    • 9th Guards
Re: anyone interested in hitler youth?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
not sure if that would be such a great idea.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »
Why not???

Offline groomporter

• Trooper
    • MacGregor Historic Games
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
Probably because it would seem to some people to be closer to reenacting "Nazis" -as opposed to just reenacting German soldiers during WWII.

What kind of things did they do compared to say... the Boy Scouts in Europe of the time?
Andrew MacGregor (aka Charles Knutson)
MacGregor Historic Games
Captain (ret.) Col. Gaffney's Regt of Foote

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
Re: Anyone Interested in Hitler Youth?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »
I think you're really asking for trouble with this one.
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »
They did a lot of athletics and sports. They also did drill and learnt to use rifles and other small arms. They camped, they hiked, they sung songs. Mostly, they worked hard and had lots of fun.

Not everyone is interested in reenacting soldiers. I know several people who are more interested in civilian type roles. Personally, I find the Hitler Youth to be very interesting and I'd like to experience what it was like for them.

While not all German soldiers were Nazis during WWII, they were obviously fighting for the Nazi cause. Whether you consider it acting out Nazis or not, to most outsiders that's exactly what you are doing. I think most outsiders wouldn't see a difference between German soldier reenactment and hitler youth reenactment.

Offline groomporter

• Trooper
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
I think part of the problem is the people view the Hitler Youth differently.

-Sure they did some innocuous things similar to Boy Scouts, but they were also used to indoctrinate young men into anti-Semitism, and the overall Nazi belief system, as well as recruiting them to be storm troopers when they became adults.

As early as 1923 their early form had been banned for their involvement Hitler's Beer Hall Putsch in which he attempted to seize power in Bavaria. By 1938 it is said that it was Nazi storm troopers, the SS and Hitler Youths that perpetrated Kristallnacht (the Night of Broken Glass) attacking Jews throughout the Reich. I think it's their direct connections to the Nazi movement that makes them even less politically correct than being a German WWII reenactor.
MacGregor Historic Games

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »
I see your point groomporter. But it would be a private event, not public. So is political correctness an issue? Since everyone there would be consenting adults, why would public opinion factor in?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be thick here. I just honestly don't see where the big problem is, but since several of you think there would be one, I'm trying to understand your points of view.

Thanks,
--Twilight

Offline groomporter

• Trooper
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:25:31 PM »
Well there's still the "public" of the reenacting community that you would be "marketing" the event to. It might take some work to over come the instinctive discomfort level people have.

I think the thing to do would be come up with a clear program of activities making it clear you would be focusing on the outdoor sports, games or other fun or healthful activities they engaged in. -No politics involved (-unless you wanted to do kind of an discussion session of their abuses and how they indoctrinated a generation. You could compare it to how any number of more modern cults work). -But even then some people may hesitate to participate due to a discomfort factor connected to reasons mentioned.

I can understand the interest to do a civilian portrayal. Personally, I think if I were to switch to WWII era, I've done enough marching. I think I'ld pick up saxophone again and start a little combo group as a touring USO band or something.

Just a stray thought since I mentioned the USO... did the JH or BDM do any "support the troops" types of things to entertain soldiers while they were on leave? Kind of like USO dances, or maybe athletic events watch, or engage in, or other entertainments?

I'm just blathering now and it's tea time.
MacGregor Historic Games

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
They participated in parades often. And the older girls would put on rhythmic gymnastic shows. But in general they didn't do too much entertaining. The boys were kept busy with sports and training, and the girls did things like learnt to sew, made things for the front, collected money for the winter relief, etc... in addition to some lighter sports.

I think your saxophone idea sounds cool.

Here's another *maybe I'm being thick* question. What's the problem with political reenactment? Is pretending to be political any worse than pretending to shoot people? I've noticed that all the groups avoid everything political, and it just seems so odd to me, as it was such a politically charged time. I find the mental aspect hugely interesting, and it often seems like that's just glossed over. I mean, not everyone agreed with the politics for example, I'm interested in the internal struggle those people felt. That sort of thing.

Offline ottoss

• Boot
  • Sorry ladies im taken!!
    • 9thSS
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
its a great idea my son has hes Hj uniform.. if he was a littler older im sure he would do more..
To death with Honour

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 01:25:41 AM »
Hey Ottoss, you're on so many of the forums I visit lol.

I think it's great how you have your son do reenactment with you. but yeah, unfortunately I think he would be a tad too young for a weekend away ;)

Offline HJDJBDM

• Boot
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
I'm a HJ reenactor myself
If its going to me a "real summer camp" thats too far...the seem to reenacting hobby wont buy it.
I dont think it's a good idea.
If it's just going to be a HJ living history event for the "day" sure it's a great idea. Id even  go to it!  :)
But try to invite other units go to the event so it's just not all HJ.
If any one once any info on HJ reenacting hit me up on myspace
myspace.com/hjdjbdm

Offline ottoss

• Boot
  • Sorry ladies im taken!!
    • 9thSS
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »
hey hunter i got them y straps for baine.. They will look good with my sons winter uniform..
Shane
To death with Honour

Offline HJDJBDM

• Boot
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Hey Shane. take a pic!
put in on myspace
Baine's going to be the most anthentic HJ reenactor by the time he's 10!

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)