This site is Gunny Approved

Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: Question regarding the fit of WWII Impressions Navy Dungarees??  (Read 10230 times)

Offline History1940

• Boot
Question regarding the fit of WWII Impressions Navy Dungarees??
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
Hello. 

I ordered a pair of Navy Dungaree jeans from WWII Impressions to have as an everyday jean to wear as they strongly resemble a few old civilian pairs of jeans I've seen over the years and since I often wear vintage or repro 40s clothing everyday. 
They came in earlier today so I now just tried them on.

WWII Impressions said to order them at your regular size but that they'd shrink up a bit,..well, they're about an inch too loose.  The biggest problem is tht they seem to be sewn a bit off too?
The seat is riding up and giving a wedge, I'm a slender fellow so its not like I'm having the big butt issue here...the seam feels like it was sewn incorrectly or the pattern they used was off.  I've worn vintage denim, WWII military wools, civillian high waisted trousers, etc. and only had this issue once before where a repro item was sewn wrong,..too tight in the lower seat. :-\

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem?  If so, what did you do,...did you go with another vendor,..is there another vendor??  I called to ask them about the issue and they said I might want to order up a size.  I explainedhow they were actually about one inch too big,....I asked if I should order down a size to fit the waist,....he really just left that up to me and that was that.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Re: Question regarding the fit of WWII Impressions Navy Dungarees??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 01:52:12 AM »
Welcome to Navy clothes. I remember my dungarees in the real Navy were kinda wierd fitting like that. Modern clothes are cut WAY, WAY different than stuff even back in the '40's. ALso, once you wear 'em a lot, they should stretch out some.  :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:53:52 AM by Sturmkatze »
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 01:52:12 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline blue_alii

• Boot
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:20:18 AM »
I had a pair of these myself. My example was not quite right in a number of ways. The fit in the seat was not in proportion to the waist and rise. The leg openings were tapered, not straight as adverised. And the patch pockets were not in alignment. The front patch pockets sat too low on the front of the garment. OK for boys in the hood, not OK for USN issue. The outer leg seam is also questionable as representative of an WWII issue garment. But there were many vendors and many variations, so it is hard to say for sure.

I was in the Navy myself, 74-96. My dungarees fit fine, off the shelf or tailor made.

Offline FJR1

• Plebe
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:16 AM »
I've never had a pr of dungarees that were uncomfortable when I put them on new.  I've worn dungarees for 56 yrs. 
After I wore out the blue jeans I had when I joined I never bought another pair.  Some day I may have to since the Navy quit the dungarees about 7 - 10 yrs ago.  I bought a bunch, but If I live long enuf I'll wear them all out.  Still got several pr put away. 

I agree that they should fit you right, since they don't something is wrong.  Send them back and keep looking, better than trying to wear them in and finding that it doesn't work and you are screwed. 
Sarge

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:16 AM »
Hessen Antique (aff)