Forum > WWII Civilian Area

Civilians in WW2 tactical events

<< < (3/5) > >>

battlebaby4:
I am from Erie ,Pa. Some more on this type of tactical. They normally have both militray and civilians mixed into them. Units will all folllow the same route at different times. A german unit would go  1st then GI , then german. At each station you have only so many minutes to work out the problem.Staying too long the enemy cound be on your back.
 We could have a small convoy, it gets hit, vehicles smoking, what would the unit do. Civilians with a broken down wagon with wounded. Objectives could be finding a POW camp, ammo dump, searching for a spy in area ect. Tons of ideas and stations could be set-up.
 For one event in CW like this we only have 20 shots, till we got to the ammo dump to refill. You couldn't just burn powder every shot counted. I had to take ammo off our dead. Carring wounded men to the hospital really slows you down. One time each unit had a traitor in the unit. His job was to kill the officer. Out of 8 units all officers were killed by their most trusted man.
 A wooded park area or village mueeum would be the best area for events like this. We had bridges to use with roadways too.
 A idea for maybe the future--  Pat

marloes:
Our group ONLY portrays civilians in occupied areas and we've been doing so for a few years now.
We take authenticity as serious as the most obsessed military groups, we aim for our clothing, paperwork, bavkgroundstory, etc to be perfect.
99% of the events we go to are Living History public events, not battles.
And because were situated in a country that was once occupied we have to be very sensetive.

We have written guidelines for our interaction with other groups;
http://nederland4045.nl/richtlijnen/

And here is our group;
http://nederland4045.nl

dbloge:
in a perfect world the time in between events would be spent training.........ie...handsignals, combat movement..........maybe i just cant understand portraying a civilian at a tactical........if you dont have a weapon..............what do you do?.........i go to tacticals to bust caps.....am a bad guy for liking to do that?..........i havent tried a wwii emersion event but it souinds pretty cool

doug
aurora il

marloes:
Well i couldnt care less about fighting and shooting so I wouldnt go to tacticals anyway.
But civilians would make the battle more interesting and realistic.
For instance, imagine stumbling upon some refugees, scared, harmless, not knowing where to hide.
What do you do, can you trust them, do you check their paperwork, do you ignore them?
Do they get in the way thanking you for liberating them while enemy is in the area or do they give your position away and give information about you to the enemy?
Or perhaps they help you.

Philonivs Maximvs:
Well said, Joeri!

Doug, you aren't a bad guy! I appreciate that you are there for the shooting, but a lot of us are about putting the "acting" in reenacting. We're just looking for that added dimension.... I've been doing this hobby for 12 years now, and the shooting isn't why I go anymore, unless it promises to be a good scenario. Otherwise, the same old goofiness with people not taking hits, whining about other people not taking hits, bad field discipline, it all starts to wear on you after a while. Perhaps not you though! That's cool, we're all in this for slightly different reasons sometimes.

And I do agree with you, units need to buckle down and learn the proper period commands, signals, and basic tactics. I think dedicated training events are where it's at when it comes to this... you simply can't do a whole lot at the regular events with everyone arriving at different times, wanting to socialize/drink, etc, everything BUT training.

Immersion is awesome when done properly... some events are tactical, some are not. The whole point of an immersion is to get completely into the period, and this is usually done by camping tactically, running round-the-clock patrols, delegating mundane tasks (like digging foxholes, running communications lines, etc). The best one I've been to was at Rensselaer, IN (after I stopped running them there) where we did a 24-hour & stayed in the bunker all night and took turns watching for Amis.

And speaking of civilians, your Spiess (Chris Chalupa) came out a couple years before that at Rensselaer and portrayed an Estonian man who rode around on his bike creating confusion on both sides! He was working for the Germans, but telling the Russians he was working for them (all the while giving them disinformation). The German commander didn't trust him though, which added to the confusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version