This site is Gunny Approved

Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: Do we need to return to ONE National WWII Organization?  (Read 43392 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Do we need to return to ONE National WWII Organization?
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »
So I ask: Do we need to return to ONE National WWII Organization? Why, well it seems things are soooo spread out that our efforts are diluted. Authenticity is down and in some ways we seem to ge going backwards :-( What are your thoughts?
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
Re: Do we need to return to ONE National WWII Organization?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
Know about a group of guys working on a regional type format but not a national one.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:48:28 PM »
As stated before, I think it would be a great idea, as long as the offices were not abused. I have come to realize that many of the folks who volunteer for such a post put in a lot of their spare time to do it, which is great.... and maybe they do need to be reimbursed in some fashion. Just not free, easy access to the kitty! (as has happened in the past with many org's)

The WW2 HRS might be something to push again.... I hear that they have overcome a lot of squabbles & ill goings-on. Then again, they are the big boy on my block, so yeah. Someone out in CA might feel that theirs is the one to model all others on, and you can see where this might go. Might be an impossible, up-hill battle to try to get everyone on the same page again. And you're always going to have the rebels that simply won't assimilate, for whatever reason.

Put it to a vote, and I'm for it!
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

Offline ssnord

• Boot
    • 6 SS Nord
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »
depends on whos running it

Offline daniels

• Plebe
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
question how much chatter is their bewteen the diffent major groups?
How about just getting them to talk to each other 1st?
Or is that a pipe deam?
Chris Daniels
A.K.A
Duncan Woods (Clann Tartan)
PFC Daniels (502nd PIR Fox Coy 101st Airborne)

Offline historymuseum2000

• Plebe
  • "A noble heart embiggens the smallest man"
    • II. FJR. 6
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »
I think in theory it would be a good idea, then standards could be the same across the board, units better able to coordinate, events no longer would be competing wth each other, and there would be a level playing field as to saftey regs.

Of course you all know what would happen if the idea of a uniform WWII organization was to come to being; sooner or later one group would not like what another is doing, ( better yet, personalities would clash) and then the split would open up. Different philosophies and attitudes etc., it is just bound to happen.

It is interesting because in Civil War there are several National level organizations, AoP, Cumberland Guard, Western Battalion,( I am dating myself I know, these probably have all changed!) all with different but similar standards. Some were known as being more "hardcore" than others but generally at the big National events all played fairly nice together. Of course from how I understand it now, the move has been to more "mess" size groups who come together to do like minded events, away form the Publik, in the same vein as the GWA.But then there are still the other mainstream events.

I think what would help all the National groups in WWII, would be to find some way in which all can "play" together at large events, still hositng the smaller events within the organizations. Maybe this would get the organizations to  better find a way to accommodate each other for the good of the whole.

Of course there will always be politics, as long as there are personalities and differnces of opinion on why we all do this hobby.No getting rid of that.

I guess if it was put to vote I would be for the Uber organization for all, but as pointed out it would depend on the leadershio and attitudes adopted, which leads us right back to the vicious circle of politics!!

Lee 
Lee Drake

Jaeger Leopold Kloepper 7./FJR.6

Offline daniels

• Plebe
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
How about a national organation for each major nation  1 for USA, 1 for German, 1 for Brittish, 1 Russian. smaller national forces would fall in with the one of the larger organation nations that they were allied with in the war. ie Poland either Britt or Russian, Canada would be Britt Finland would go to German and so on and so on.
Each national org could then foucus on just the impression.
This could work you get the seperation that some people need and like yet one group would be in overall "comand"  their would be a rep  from each nation on a governing board (say two from each group)
Just an idea.
Chris Daniels
A.K.A

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
Won't work... there's too many "Janitor-Generals" who won't give up power :-(
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

• Trooper
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »
Daniels, the only problem I have with separate org's by nationality/impression is that you will lose overall comradeship at events. After the fighting, everyone will really go off in separate corners, and even less chance to interact. It's all subdivisions..... it's bad enough that the uniforms now keep people from socializing! I've seen even GI's who "won't go hang with the Krauts". ARGH!! It's a costume, you dolts! We're all WW2 enthusiasts here. That sort of mentality only breeds it on the other side, which is probably why this grand idea won't work in the long run, unfortunately.

Sorry, I'm normally an optimist  :-\

Offline daniels

• Plebe
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 12:02:55 AM »
Yeah I kinda thought that might be the case, but as I said it was an idea.
Other than "reality rearing it's head" was it a good idea or as Philonivs Maximvs said to prone to segment even more.
Chris Daniels
A.K.A

• Trooper
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »
Hey, it's just human nature. We tend to subdivide and form cliques, which is the root of all conflict if you really think about it! Makes you wonder if we'll ever get off this planet in one piece.... hehe

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »
Daniels, the only problem I have with separate org's by nationality/impression is that you will lose overall comradeship at events. After the fighting, everyone will really go off in separate corners, and even less chance to interact. It's all subdivisions..... it's bad enough that the uniforms now keep people from socializing! I've seen even GI's who "won't go hang with the Krauts". ARGH!! It's a costume, you dolts! We're all WW2 enthusiasts here. That sort of mentality only breeds it on the other side, which is probably why this grand idea won't work in the long run, unfortunately.

I wear an SS and Romanian impression but you'll see me hanging out with the Russians when they are there. Also it depends on the members on the unit as well. If they are a**holes or whatever I try to avoid them since they make a bad impression with behavior/attitude just by itself.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline daniels

• Plebe
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »

I wear an SS and Romanian impression but you'll see me hanging out with the Russians when they are there. Also it depends on the members on the unit as well. If they are a**holes or whatever I try to avoid them since they make a bad impression with behavior/attitude just by itself.
Well I'm still new to this WW2 thing on the "rendesvou" circit we tend to have events after show hours to help promote "iternmiingling", How about we start doing something like that at an event after the general public has gone home have a unit pot luck?
Chris Daniels
A.K.A

• Trooper
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 01:14:52 AM »
Fortunately, there are a few units out there that do things together. One of the best examples of this I can think of is 2.Panzer and the 504th PIR at Rockford, IL. Every Saturday night there, they have a big shindig around one camp or another, drink together, and split a hog. Last month, I heard they did a costume contest too! Fun, period stuff like that..... well, as period as you can get without realizing that it's Ami's & Krauts.

But we're all in the HOBBY together, so might as well be serious during the day, and let the hair down at night, eh? (unless of course it's a 24-hr immersion.... then, I can see the need for separation.)

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
Here is my idea. To me maybe its time for parartroopers to be with paratroopers national unit. Pure infantry with infantry ect.
 At many events these units don't get along well. I can see the bad and good in this idea. As a past CW reenactor in Western Brigade,farb units got into the ranks too no matter what we did. Heck WB was almost sued by two female CW reenactors because they were not authentic to WB standards.Wish I remembered more to the story, was a good one.
One National unit will not cover everyone.The 99th is now on our own. What was the point of being part of a National unit, we really didn't get much from it.

Pat
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)