Forum > General Discussion

Has gas prices affected reenacting?

<< < (3/8) > >>

Bonnie aka blnzrfn:
LOL......My family has a new diet plan its called high gas prices   :'( .........We've cutback on places we had planned on going  ;-( .....and we offered up our 10 acres for a training weekend (instead of going to some state park)  because everyone is trying to cutback...

Antonescu:

--- Quote from: Sturmkatze on April 19, 2008, 12:18:22 AM ---Why are you not at WWI?? Bad Rob, BAD! I came home to let my dogs out... going back early.
M.

--- End quote ---

WWI and Torrance were this weekend. On top of it baby shower in WV (BTW that is where I am with no cell phone service). Wife having cancer surgery and having a baby shower a month later takes top priority in my book. :angel:

Sturmkatze:

--- Quote from: Antonescu on April 20, 2008, 06:32:08 AM ---WWI and Torrance were this weekend. On top of it baby shower in WV (BTW that is where I am with no cell phone service). Wife having cancer surgery and having a baby shower a month later takes top priority in my book. :angel:
--- End quote ---
I'm not saying it doesn't... we all just thought you were going to be there -- people were walking around (literally) asking "Have you seen Rob Haught?" I think guys in your unit were getting tired of people asking.

WHY would they hold a WWII event on the same weekend as WWI? How stupid! A lot of guys do both.  0|

Antonescu:
Well I know that you weren't saying that. I am going to be there in November for sure though. Will be busy that month with Haydenville the last weekend in October then Newville then Torrance the following weekend (or Bedford if allowed to attend as Romanian).

atlanticwallblanks:
I was walking around both events asking for Rob  0|

If I have your grenade launcher for a year does it become mine by default????

As for the events being on the same weekend, I know the event coordinator of Torrance and he decided that with gas prices, moving it one week forward wouldn't change turnout. He couldn't move it one week back as the farmer was planting the fields as soon as the event was over.  I think he is right but it still sucks that they were the same weekend.

I do think gas prices are having an effect.  WWI was way down last weekend. Torrance was slower. Combined they were down about 50%  There was not a lot of car-pooling going on either.  We make that rule number 1 in our unit. No more than 2 vehicles for everyone.  Problem with that is so many guys have small cars for better gas mileage that you can't car pool effectively.

Opec is at its breaking point, the Bush / Cheney oil machine is killing us.  (yes I voted for them   :-[)

The cumulative effect of the higher prices is hurting an already weak economy.  That will hurt events more as this goes on.

Robb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version