This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Jane Austen Festivals  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
Jane Austen Festivals
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »
This past July 11th, 12th & 13th, a Jane Austen festival was held at Locust Grove, Louisville, Kentucky.  Not so much a reenactment, as a celebration of the 19th c. author, Jane Austen, by JASNA ( Jane Austen Society of North America ).  - Yeah, I had no idea that there was such a big following for the English author, at least here in the states....  It was pleasantly different to attend.  It's been kind of an "off" year for the Mrs. & I and it seemed like something different to do.  Kind of gave us a chance to turn out in our 1812 civilian clothes & set up my silhouette cutting endeavor.  There were about 6 or 7 vendors offering their wares for sale.  The response to the event was way above anything the organizers had expected and a smashing success. Next year promises to be even bigger.  Apparently, there is such a following for this kind of thing, that there is a national JASNA organization, with chapters in the bigger cities across the U.S.  Just about anything connected to the Regency period was welcome at the festival.  There were many of the visitors/afficianados of the Jane Austen books & movies that were every bit as taken with the subject as the Star Wars/Star Trek fans are to their interests.  There was offered for sale -and I kid you not, a "Jane Austen for Dummies" book for the JA novices.  Now that's something you don't see every day, hm?  But anyways, if you're into the Regency/1812 period, these JA festivals might be something for you so minded folks to keep an eye out for in your area. -Just be prepared to be asked "Which character are you portraying?" a lot.
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....