This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Hmmm where to start  (Read 4091 times)

Offline TheLastTommy

• Boot
Hmmm where to start
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
Hi all,

I dont re-enact as of yet, but have been mulling it over in my head for quite some time now. After weeks of arguing the pros and cons of it all in my head I've finally appeared here and now to kick it off in the right direction. But which direction? heres the problem.

I have an interest in all historical military time periods from the day man picked up a spear and shield to the day we created long range missiles. so, which time period and thus which group to choose? I really am spoilt for choice here  ;)

thanks for having me aboard folks!
Come home with your shield or upon it ~ a Spartan woman equips her son

Offline Balaklava

• Trooper
  • 93rd Sutherland Highlanders 1854 Crimean War
Re: Hmmm where to start
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
LastTommy, welcome aboard. Maybe best first question is where are you in the world, what events are held reasonably close to your home - cause reenacting is travelin. Next - which units are available to you in your area, as you say, all military time periods appeal to you. Which are close to home and participate in events you would like to take part in? Units have senior members who can show you what they've done to get where they are today. If you are becoming a member of a unit, there are rules perhaps, learn those so you know what you are getting into. Finally - cash flow: best impressions are built over time and unit members can assist you to spend your money for best value.

Cheerio, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1812-1858.
*Please consider the environment before printing*

Offline sfctab

• Boot
  • Lincolnshire Regiment/8th GMC/
    • Lincolnshire Regiment
Re: Hmmm where to start
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
Welcome Last Tommy,
 As you may have realized it can also be very expensive as to the time period you choose.
 However, Focus on one for know, because you may get stuck with alot of extra stuff, and unable to use it. Get into a well established unit.
 Pick the kit. Remember, cheap doesnt always mean bad, and vice verse.
 Always keep in mind what your unit will and will not accept.
 The key here is to have fun and become well versed in your impression.

Sgt Thomas Bores
Lincolnshire Regiment