This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: R.I.P. Miles Allen Murphy  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
R.I.P. Miles Allen Murphy
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Zum Andenken an Miles Murphy;
R.I.P. for a Kamerad Lost

Early on the morning of January 1st, 2009, a fellow WWII reenactor was shot by the Seattle police. At this time, we don't know the full story (and most likely never will), but we do know the tragedy of the whole thing. From all accounts: Friends, Family, Co-workers, fellow reenactors, Miles Murphy was a nice guy. They say he was a quiet guy, one who had (like most of us in this hobby) a deep love and interest in history.

What the Seattle Police say is that when they were called to Miles Murphy's apartment by neighbors describing someone in a uniform with a gun. What is known is that Miles answered the door in one of his WWII German reenacting uniforms (referred to as a "Nazi uniform" by the as usual mis-informed press) with a K.98k rifle in his hands, bayonet affixed. The Seattle Police say he didn't drop the rifle when they ordered him to and then "stepped towards them" in a threatening manner. In that, Miles was shot 7 times. I have talked to fellow reenactors who are police officers and they tell me about how things such as this can happen. Like one friend told me "There is the truth, which lies in between each side's story." I believe this. However, as a experienced reenactor, I also believe that there is more to this than is being said. I could go on, but at this time, it wouldn't be right and in fact, would only help to inflame this sad affair. And really, it IS a tragedy, a horrible tragedy. A productive young life has been lost; possibly two police officers will lose their careers. A family in mourning. Friends have lost a Kamerad.NOTHING about this event was "right."

We extend our sincere condolences to the family of Miles Allen Murphy and also, to his friends, co-workers and reenacting comrades. Miles has gone too early.
A final note: As one of Miles' friends and a fellow reenactor put it: "He was a young and vibrant member of our community, as well as a bright and productive young man. He was no 'gang banger' or hoodlum?his death is tragic."
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.