This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Author Topic: Here it is... (intro)  (Read 12226 times)

Offline Philonivs Maximvs

• Trooper
Here it is... (intro)
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:42:20 PM »
Thanks Marsh for creating this main category  :)

OK, so who is interested in doing such an impression? There are a handful out there that have taken this up, and I am just getting started myself. Technically I guess I have done it though... if you count militia in civvy clothes: Finnish "SK.Y" militia. This is what you see in the "Winter War" movie, guys that were conscripted right before Stalin invaded the Karelian Isthmus in 1939. Many of them didn't get anything more than a rifle, ammo pouch, belt, and a cockade for their cap!

Anyway, so I am serious about wanting to form a group here in the Indiana area. Not only that, I'd like to use this forum to foster interest in what I think is a very interesting angle on reenacting. You can portray a normal citizen, trying not to get shot at while either dealing with occupying Germans, or running from the destruction with a suitcase & their kids in tow. Or you can take up arms as either a resistance/partisan, militia, or spy. Wear whatever CORRECT period civvy clothing that a European would be seen in (not the more stylish American stuff), keeping in mind what country you're in of course.

There's a myriad of things that you can do alongside the "cap-busters" at events as well. Obviously, as cool and different backdrop at public events. At tacticals, you can either serve to get in the way of the combatants, subvert one side or another, or actively shoot. It's been my understanding that a lot of reenactors tend to see civilian impressions, especially resistance/partisan, as a joke. I don't want it to stay this way... more of what I would like to offer to an event is a cool twist to the same old shoot-em-ups, maybe offer them a flavor of the local scene in which the scenario is supposedly set. Acting would of course be a plus... anyone out there a thespian?  ;)

Let's get this rolling......... feel free to discuss!
"I drank WHAT???" ---Socrates

Offline marloes

• Plebe
    • The Netherlands 1940-1945, Study and Living History Group
Re: Here it is... (intro)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:59:43 PM »
Great idea, ive been doing civilian living history for a few years now and its pushed all other impressions aside, I like it more then anything ive ever done.
We need more civilian living history groups that take their impression as serious as the military groups.

Authentic Radiobroadcasts for your display;
http://www.joeri.net/radiofiles

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:59:43 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:36:09 PM »
Listen to Joeri.... errr, I mean Marloes! She literally lives in the period: her place is totally 1930's/40's! Making me extremely jealous.

Offline adam

• Plebe
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:28:19 PM »
For what it's worth, Phil, I'd be interested. You can only go so far with military roles. I like civvy stuff more, anyways.

Adam Oswalt

• Trooper
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
Yay! Where are you located, Adam?

Offline adam

• Plebe
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 02:01:53 AM »
North of Indianapolis. Not sure if you recognized the name, but I'm a prospective member of the 95th. I sometimes post on the yahoo group.

• Trooper
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 01:28:51 AM »
Ahh, no! Cool, we're already almost family then :)

I'm going to start watching for events that might be conducive to having civilians, and see what we can come up with. For me, this would have to be after November, as I have Saturday classes that I can't miss till then.

Offline adam

• Plebe
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
Yup, I wouldn't be ready for a while. I'm trying to pick up a few smaller things here and there. Can labels, etc. The main thing is knowing what I need so I can start looking. I've been checking out ebay and a few of the online vintage clothing dealers, but the big problem there is size. I'm a long ways away from being a size 34. So, the interest is there, it's just a matter of putting it into practice.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)