This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 8760 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Is it just me...
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
... or is there a growing amount of just plain a-holes in the hobby? It seems like there's a bunch these days who all they wanna do is just cause crap and trouble. They wanna do their own thing, they don't want to take orders. You know them, the ones who join a unit and then want to change it immediately. They come in and think the unit should change for THEM, instead of them changing for the unit. 0|

There are times when I just think about burning all my stuff (no, I'm not, I'd sell it first... what, am I nuts?). And a lot of the time on the boards and lists, while you can find good help and advice, you have these puffy know-it-all's who have to bloviate on just BS.

Piss on it, I'm gonna go out and burn trash and pollute the environment today. Maybe ti will make me feel better. |||
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Huntar

• Plebe
    • 9th Guards
Re: Is it just me...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
doesn't matter where you go or what you do, you'll always find idiots.

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »
... or is there a growing amount of just plain a-holes in the hobby? It seems like there's a bunch these days who all they wanna do is just cause crap and trouble. They wanna do their own thing, they don't want to take orders. You know them, the ones who join a unit and then want to change it immediately. They come in and think the unit should change for THEM, instead of them changing for the unit. 0|

There are times when I just think about burning all my stuff (no, I'm not, I'd sell it first... what, am I nuts?). And a lot of the time on the boards and lists, while you can find good help and advice, you have these puffy know-it-all's who have to bloviate on just BS.

Piss on it, I'm gonna go out and burn trash and pollute the environment today. Maybe ti will make me feel better. |||

Sometimes I think that is all this hobby is about.  0|

Wanna' buy some carbon offsets from me?  Special this week, 10 Billion for a quarter  ;D

Robb

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »
It's more than just idiots... okay, some of it is. Hobby politics are the WORST! I think though, the ones that just hack me off are the ones who join a unit, then try and take over ans change it. That happened to my first WWI unit. Sucks! What can you do? >:(

I guess you just have to be vigilant and not let them in. Sometimes they fool you though. And I love the ones who feel that THEY know what's best for a big unit or even just a small one that's been around a long time.  I actually prefer the "benevolent dictator" model of unit command. Most people don't want to be in charge. Of course, then you get the guy who thinks HE should have a shot at being the CO. Hell, there are reasons why some units are really big... it's because of the one guy, the benevolent dictator if you will. He does 99% of the work. He's the one who has sweated stuff through, had to collect dues, put out a newsletter, etc. I dunno... we all know about the "Alpha Newbies" O/

Oh well... I'm just venting. I don't like the "puffy" know-it-alls either. Or the ones who think we "all just need to get along." I'm not 5 anymore...
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:26:51 PM »
Along with the a-hole factor are those who are the most vocal in stating what shoudl be done, reformed etc. but when time comes to step up to the plate and produce, they're nowhere to be seen!  0|

What really kills me, at least for our WWI group, is the "bug-out brigade" who are quick to show up to an event to play just about the time things are getting started and then bug out in the early evening, basically getting out of helping with either setting up or breaking down. The last time I threw my shoulder out filling up sandbags and digging positions. For the future, forget it! Lots of talking but no walking, to quote Animal Mother... >:D

My solution to those is to up the battle fee.  ;D
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:59:04 AM »
I have had the pleasure of dealing with those individuals as well. One time at an event on the day I arrived (Friday), I unpacked, set up my camp, got my gear/ammo ready, combat gear put together so it would be ready to go and then so I could enjoy Saturday during the day and night I sat down to grade papers. A reenactor from another unit came over later and was telling me I was not being period by grading papers with modern day items (I was at a desk in the dark corner with 2 lanterns on the table), etc. I just looked at him and asked him if he was my wife, no then I pulled out the paycheck part that says void due to direct deposit and asked him if he was any of the names on it, no. Told him unless you are my wife or the person who pays me to f#(@ off and to just worry about his own unt. I've never had a problem since then and will do it again if someone tries that with me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:00:42 AM by Antonescu »
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:07:54 PM »
When we form the 99th I.D, out of the ashes of ourCW unit, the 1st thing we made was the "butthole clause". Yes a ember who joins and starts to cause infighting is kicked out ,he "Founding Fathers" have final say. As stated we started this unit and we can destory it in a heart beat. If the buttholes try to over run the Founding Fathers, we will nuke the unit.
 We never had to go this far. We tossed a few people over the 9 years we have beenhere in Erie,Pa. Most due to safety issues and mega idoit collector / extreme gun nuts.
 Hate to say to the buttholes are over running the hobby. The event in Ohio on Lake Erie is one of the worst. They destory anyone who wishes to start another event in this area. They have gone above and beyond to kill reenacting so they can get their way, the only event on the Lakes. I l sorry for folks wanting to make more events around me. Glad I'm out of this mess. I have my own problems and don't need them anymore.

pAT
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

Offline Oskar_2ndChev

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
    • KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »
I'm a firm believer in running a unit as a benevolent dictatorship and that's pretty much how we run our WWI unit. We can also scuttle it if the a-hole factor gets out of hand. I've seen it happen with Civil War but fortunately, not with WWI.

Mega-idiot collectors and extreme gun nuts- that's a bad mixture!  >:D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:58:00 PM by Oskar_2ndChev »
Adam Lid
aka Oskar Landschultz/Matthew Hawkins
3rd Squadron, 2nd Chevauleger
http://2chevauleger.org
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry