This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: You Know You?re a Reenactor If:  (Read 9147 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
You Know You?re a Reenactor If:
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
You Know You?re a Reenactor If:
von die Internet Gestolen

• Sleeping outside in the rain and mud is your idea of a fun on a Saturday night.
  • You can identify a regiment by the curses heard from their camp.
  • You can?t sing without a mug of something in your hand.
  • You can spot 100% wool at 30 yards.
  • You have ever spent over 300 dollars on clothes that went out of style over 135 years ago.
  • You have ever replayed Turner?s Gettysburg 25 times in a row just to get a glimpse of your foot in the left-hand corner of the screen.
  • You?ve ever uttered the phrase ?only 68 more days ?til (pick an event)!?
  • You?ve ever fondled your musket lovingly.
  • You consider life?s essentials to be blanks and booze!
  • Your employer says: ?Oh are you going out to play that war crap again??
  • Your dinner guests see one of your uniforms and exclaim ?Are you in a theatre production?
  • Your neighbor?s dog is barking due to the high frequency pitch of the fifes playing in your back yard.
  • You?ve stockpiled lots of candles by the back door as a reminder not to forget them.
  • You travel over 2000 miles to sleep in hole in the ground.
  • You?ve driven by some open land and thought ?What a great place for a battle!?
  • You?ve worn wool when the temperature tops 100 degrees Fahrenheit, repeatedly.
  • You?ve received cuts, burns, pulled off ticks, been infested by chiggers, gotten poison ivy, and still look forward to camping out every time.
  • Your house needs a coat of paint.
  • You have three rifles (or more) stacked in the parlor corner.
  • You?ve made a career decision based on its impact on your weekends
  • You?ve made a vehicle purchase decision based on how well it accommodates your kit and gets into and out of fields
  • On Monday your business associates comment on the funny tan/sunburn line that ends at the hat line
  • No one will attend a war movie/historical costume drama with you
  • Your $20,000 car sits out in the weather so your $200 tent can stay in the garage
  • You spend more on a pair of reenacting shoes than on your ?dress? shoes
  • You earn a good salary, but are always broke
  • Your Mailman stays confused (what the heck rank are you in the Reserves Anyway?)
  • Your kids can correct their history teachers
  • You fly strange flags
  • Your vanity tag gets lots of comment (Fusilier; Pionier, RevWar, 1st NH; 2SC)
  • You get the ?flux? on the way back home
  • In the middle of summer, you dread wearing a short sleeved shirt in your air conditioned office, while you can?t wait to get to the next event, where you can dress in a long sleeved shirt, with a vest, wool coat, hat, and carry around 40 or 50 pounds of bulky gear on your back, while firing away with your musket, and then relaxing next to your cookfire.
  • You have ever been asked at a gas station if you are Amish
  • You win Halloween costume competitions?hands down
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
Re: You Know You?re a Reenactor If:
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:41:02 AM »
Re. Being asked if you are Amish.... kind of a reverse version....  While traveling through Indiana Amish country to make a pit stop at a convenience store, several local Amish guys were buying sandwiches to take to a construction site they were working on, were giving me the "eye", as I was in my civilian colonial clothes, heading to an event.  One obviously curious, approached me to ask, "Sir, are you a... 'reenactor' ?" Replying that I was, he smiled quite broadly and said " Well that explains it... because you know, we get asked that all the time, by people passing through!" ;D
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »
That's great! I've never been asked if I was Amish (I do WWI and WWII mostly), but I have been asked if I was a "Coonfederate" this, while wearing a WWI German uniform... then, when we explained to the clerk that it was WWI German, he said, "Oh ya mean with Hitler?" "No", said we, that was WWII... separate wars... "Oh", said he, "ah didn't know that... I larned somethin' different taday" (This was in Ohio... which explains it) and yes, this was how he talked.  :-X
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline colonial character

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
The guys doing the traffic stop are staring at you really strangely, and you can't figure out why--as you sit in the van, in full colonial outfit, with your children, who are also in colonial outfits.

Offline Sterling

• Trooper
  • An eye fer an eye
    • Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »
Re. Being asked if you are Amish....

Used to get that all the time when doing Wild West... now with the pirates, I get, especially with the hat, the Quaker Oatmeal Man ... OR Am I the rep from Samuel Adams beer...
Sterling