This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Dueling  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Dueling
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:49:14 PM »
So, if dueling were legal, would you? With who? With what weapons? I sure bet that if dueling WERE legal people would be a damn site politer in this country (world).

Rudeness rules the day and no one seems to care. In the work place, more and more it seems, employers are once again starting to believe their egos that we're all their personal slaves or serfs. >:( Am I alone in my beliefs here?
Blathering on... Marsh
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
Re: Dueling
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
I am not so sure about dueling but I like the concept. My boss can out shoot me in quick-draw any day.

My father has always said that there should be one day a year that you are allowed to go shoot someone.
Everyone would be a hell of a lot better towards each other then.  I still think he has a point.   :police:

Robb

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:05:20 AM »
Well, I would certainly embrace having that option.  Nowadays, those that are the powers that be, tend to regard themselves as untouchable, with noone to answer to but themselves, and everyone else are just out of luck.  The possibility of being challenged in a serious manner, would surely take away a great bit of arrogance out of their treatmant of others.  A little reminder to them that words do indeed have meaning and should be spoken with care. --No political correctness, just self policing of consideration.
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Sterling

• Trooper
  • An eye fer an eye
    • Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
Hell yes!  Smallswords or pistols... I still have one damn good eye!
Sterling

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:51 PM »
Most people wouldn't do it. Or they'd stop it as soon as it started as people are too PC today.  ---/
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »
Well you know, that's part of the problem.... they like having the anonymity of position, with none of the resposibility/accountability that should be part & parcel of dealing with the unfortunate bastards that have to live with these supercilious decrees that they dole out.  If there were some hazard about having to actually confront some of results of their actions, you can damn well bet that they'd be more careful and actually consider what it takes to follow through on such decrees.  In other words, have a REAL backbone!
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Karl Helweg

• Reenactor
    • Earngyld
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »
"For all registered blood donors with an unsatisfied passion for dueling, Paraguay should be top of your list of places to go. It is a ?fact? that dueling is indeed legal in Paraguay, as long as both parties are registered blood donors. "

Do we have any lawyers form Paraguay here to confirm this?  Come to think of it, would a country with legal dueling have any lawyers left?  ;)

We should probably require both parties to sign a full organ donor card and update their wills in order to help those in medical need and save some of the legal drain on society.  

Almost forgot that dueling is strictly forbidden in the military:  http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/mcm/bl114.htm
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:32:15 PM by Karl Helweg »
-Karl

Offline redgene

• Boot
    • Down Home Gal
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »
I think dueling should be reinstated for sure!  There are trivial things we all let go but seriously, some of the stuff people get away with now is unreal!  I think swords would be better than guns, makes it that much more personal - and brutal. But that's my opinion :) 
~Reagen~

Offline Karl Helweg

• Reenactor
    • Earngyld
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
Fans of dueling might enjoy this https://vimeo.com/19808963 
-Karl

Offline Karl Helweg

• Reenactor
    • Earngyld
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
Code Duello   or rules for dueling  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/duel-code-duello-rules-dueling/

"Reprinted from "American Duels and Hostile Encounters," Chilton Books, 1963.

The Code Duello, covering the practice of dueling and points of honor, was drawn up and settled at Clonmel Summer Assizes, 1777, by gentlemen-delegates of Tipperary, Galway, Sligo, Mayo and Roscommon, and prescribed for general adoption throughout Ireland. The Code was generally also followed in England and on the Continent with some slight variations. In America, the principal rules were followed, although occasionally there were some glaring deviations.

Rule 1. The first offense requires the first apology, though the retort may have been more offensive than the insult. Example: A tells B he is impertinent, etc. B retorts that he lies; yet A must make the first apology because he gave the first offense, and then (after one fire) B may explain away the retort by a subsequent apology.

Rule 2. But if the parties would rather fight on, then after two shots each (but in no case before), B may explain first, and A apologize afterward.

N.B. The above rules apply to all cases of offenses in retort not of stronger class than the example.

Rule 3. If a doubt exist who gave the first offense, the decision rests with the seconds; if they won't decide, or can't agree, the matter must proceed to two shots, or to a hit, if the challenger require it.  etc....."
-Karl