This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Charles City, IA - Time Line Event - April 25-26, 2008  (Read 5942 times)

Offline 416RifleRgt

• Plebe
  • My excuse? Well I was abused by Caribou.
    • 416th Rifle Regt, 112th Rifle Division
Charles City, IA - Time Line Event - April 25-26, 2008
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »
Marsh & All,

Please forgive me for posting this here, however it is a timeline event and I did not want to spam all the time periods listed.  Perhaps a time line event category for events like this would work best. 

I will post details from the local committee below.  This is a gem of an event, and covers all time frames.  Last year we had from the middle ages all the way to Vietnam.  Are Vikings considered middle ages, or pre middle ages?  LOL  WWII being the largest group there last year. 

This event treats the reenactors well, and is the only one of its kind in Iowa.  Granted we are working on a similiar style one in Iowa Falls, but that is for another thread.  LOL

Only real issue is it collides with the bigger civil war event in Keokuk, IA.  Thus we really need civil war folks not wanting to go to Keokuk.  Especially federals.  Last year we really got hurt by the fact Keokuk was celebrating it's 20th anniversary.  We had next to no federals.

Notice this year they are going with a Saturday only event.  Good decision as by Sunday morning few folks remained and spectator attendance was down.  Friday is a school day, and it's a big one.  Still debating whether to put the very popular all eras fight on the schedule for the public or not.  It's a hoot.  German WWII soldiers riding on a Post War British Ferret Armoured Car get wailed on by French Indian War Period Native Americans is a sight to behold.   :D 

The website is currently down for the event, I am asking about that.  But anyone insterested can contact me at redkommissar@hotmail.com.  I can forward it to Jerry & Matt if I don't know.

Hope you can make it.  I have to decide whether to go WWII or Post War Soviet.  D'oh.  Coin flip time.  Hehehe

Later

-dave
SALHC

Information from the event committee...

Hello Everyone,

Can you believe how fast the time has flown since we were all together for Military History Days!!    We hope you have had a great summer at other events and gathered some new ideas also for our event next spring.

It is now time to start planning for next year and we were so pleased and proud of the groups that attended in 2007....we now extend you this invitation to join us again in Charles City Iowa as you  participate in the timeline of history beginning in the early 1600's thru today's current events.       Please join us to "Live and Teach History" with your fellow re-enactors.

NEW TIMEFRAME FOR 2008 EVENT --   

Matt Ross, organizer, and committee members have decided to change the next upcoming MHDays  to just a two-day event....considerations being given for those groups who travel longer distances as well as the low attendance of the public on Sundays in the past.      We hope to pack many more activities into this shorter time-span.     We still request no camp set-up during Student Day, Friday April 25th from 8am-3pm. 

Mark your calendars for Friday and Saturday, April 25th and 26th for Military History Days 2008.     Student Education Day will again be on Friday and the Battle Day planned for Saturday.   Organizers ask that re-enactor groups do attend the full two days event and do not pack up their site till  Sunday morning.   A free Appreciation Hog Roast, entertainment, and the Cannon Barrage will be planned for Saturday nite.
Konstantin Vasilyevich Kotelnikov
244th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment
27th Guards Motorized Rifle Division
Soviet Army - Cold War

Join the Soviet Collectors & Reenactors Board: http://rkkacr.proboards99.com/index.cgi

Offline daniels

• Plebe
Re: Charles City, IA - Time Line Event - April 25-26, 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54:31 AM »
AHH good times at that event, even if the first time I was their (when it was still by the High School) my tent came down in the rain when I was sleepping in it.  :'(
Was going to make 2007 but could not swing time off from the job, Will try for 2008 just look for the guy who will  jump 300 yrs in one day  will be down thier with 2 groups the 1630's and the ww2 airborne. Yea the unit the did pt in the moring that's the other unit I'm in going to try and shanghigh....I mean recute a few of them by showing up during their moring pt in the 1630's garb and eating breakfast and said "You know what's so nice about the 1630's army....no pt." and then walk away  >:D
Chris Daniels
A.K.A
Duncan Woods (Clann Tartan)
PFC Daniels (502nd PIR Fox Coy 101st Airborne)

Offline 416RifleRgt

• Plebe
Calling Any Available GI's
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:48:03 PM »
Comrades,

The event planning is proceeding along nicely.  Should be just as good as last year, if not better.  Well ok last years weather was perfect, dunno about this year.  Hehehehe

However in talking with the event folks, we have one issue.  We are in need of GI reenactors for school day on Friday.  It seems the unit that made it last year can not make it back for school day this year.

This is for school day.  Friday the 25th of April.  Close to 2000 school kids will tour the site station by station.  From I think it's 8 or 9 am until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  So far we have germans and russians for the school day but no U.S. reenactors have yet.

Thus the call goes out to quality living historians.  Whether as individuals or as groups.  If you can take a Friday off of work and help us, please let me know.  My email is: redkommissar@hotmail.com

And for everyone else.  Come on out.  It's going to be a bigger year.  The vietnam folks are coming back with double the numbers.  The old standbyes should be there.  I'll even be there doing the cold war soviet thing.  Lots to do and lots of fun.

Any questions, concerns or issues let me know.

Later

-dave
Soviet Army - Cold War

Join the Soviet Collectors & Reenactors Board: http://rkkacr.proboards99.com/index.cgi

Offline 416RifleRgt

• Plebe
CCMHD Schedules
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
Comrades,

The event website is being built.  Here are the event schedules.  Note that the two are similiar.  One is going on the website and the other on printed flyers.

FRIDAY, APRIL 25, 2008 
STUDENT DAY
FREE ADMISSION

0700      REVELLIE ? FLAG RAISING
      VETS FOOD TENT OPEN

0830      TEACHING STATIONS OPEN
      CAMP DISPLAYS AND
      ERA DEMONSTRATIONS

10:30      LUNCH AVAILABLE AT
      VETERANS FOOD TENT

1400      ENCAMPMENT
      OPENS TO THE PUBLIC

1700      RETIRING OF FLAG

SATURDAY, APRIL 26, 2008 
BATTLE DAY
FREE ADMISSION

0700      REVEILLE ? FLAG RAISING
VETS FOOD TENT OPEN

0800      CAMP OPEN TO PUBLIC
         DRILL & CEREMONY

0900      LIVE ERA BATTLES
THRU      LIVING HISTORY TIMELINE
1600      (WEATHER PERMITING)

1700      RETIRING OF FLAG

1800      EVENT APPRECIATION HOG ROAST ? V.F.W. HALL
      (PUBLIC WELCOME -$5 EA)

2030      NIGHT ARTILLERY
      WITH CANNON BARRAGE

PAST REENACTMENT PARTICIPANTS

VIKINGS  * MEDIEVAL * CLANN TARTAN *
REVOLUTIONARY WAR * GHOST GARRISON *
HIGHLANDERS REGIMENT * TOMAHAWKS *
FRENCH-INDIAN WAR * FLINT KNAPPER  *
NATIVE AMERICAN * NORWEGIAN SETTLER *
7TH CAVALRY INFANTRY & PLAINS INDIANS *
CIVIL WAR SOLDIERS & CIVILIANS, MEDICAL
UNIT & NEW ULM BATTERY WITH CANNONS 
WW2 -GERMANS, RUSSIANS, ALLIED AND
AMERICAN TROOPS  * VIETNAM WAR *
PRESENT DAY ? SCOUTS * RECRUITERS *
MILITARY VEHICLES, TANKS  & WEAPONS

8TH ANNUAL
CHARLES CITY MILITARY HISTORY DAYS
APRIL 25TH ? 26TH, 2008

Check-in:   Re-enactors Time-Line Encampment
Set-up - Thursday, Apr 24th  3-10pm

FRIDAY ?    STUDENT EDUCATION DAY           8:30am
Teaching Stations-Displays-Demos      thru
Military Vehicles, Cannons, Tanks      3:30pm

Battle Day Strategy Meeting                 6:00pm

SATURDAY-   BATTLE DAY - LIVE & LOUD          9:00am
      Open to Public ? Based on weather      to 4pm

Appreciation Evening Hog Roast          6:00pm
      Compliments of CCMHD Committee

Night Artillery & Cannon Barrage        8:30pm
      All Era Skirmish at Dusk
Soviet Army - Cold War

Offline 416RifleRgt

• Plebe
Re: Charles City, IA - Time Line Event - April 25-26, 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:50:48 AM »
Comrades,

I have collected all the various information I have on the 8th Annual Charles City Military History Days event and compiled it into one email for ease.  Here is that information.  PLEASE NOTE: This is geared towards the WWII aspect of the event, however there should be enough useful information here for all eras interested in attending.

DATES: April 25 & 26, 2008. 

Friday the 25th is the School Day and Saturday the 26th is the general public event.  Note this is a Friday/Saturday only event.  Camping on site is available Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

School Day runs from 0900-1500 Friday.  Nearly 1500 students are expected to tour the various era stations.  For WWII we have an U.S. Station, a German Station and a Russian Station.

This event is free to the public.  They will be allowed on site Friday Night and Saturday.

It is located in the park directly behind the VFW Post.

VARIOUS DETAILS:

The event is a living history time line event.  Covering everything from the middle ages to modern.  In the past the two largest groups were WWII and U.S. Civil War.  Civil War has been declining due to being scheduled on the same weekend as the big CW event at Keokuk, IA.  WWII reenactors with alternate civil war impressions are asked to bring their civil war kit and dress out for the public battle on Saturday to help with numbers.

Saturday has several public battles planned.  WWII is the largest.  Times are not set and they are dependent on reenactor numbers in attendance.  At past events they have had a French Indian War Battle, a Civil War Battle and a WWII battle. 

In the past we have had an impromptu all eras battle Saturday evening just for the reenactors, and this year they have scheduled it for the public to come view.  It is quite the sight to see.  Native Americans ?war clubbing? WWII German Soldiers.  Civil War soldiers with shields and swords.  Something different and fun for all.

Standard amenities of portos, firewood, water.  Meals have been expanded this year.  A soup dinner is slated for Friday night.  A pancake breakfast for Saturday morning and a Hog Roast for Saturday night. There also will be a food vendor on site to purchase lunch from.

This year the armour attending is post WWII.  A Korean War era M41 Walker Bulldog and a Vietnam War era V100 armoured car.  There may be more in attendance but I have not received word yet.  There also tends to be several soft skin vehicles in attendance. 

This is a fun event and all are encouraged to attend.  If anyone has any questions feel free to contact the event coordinators or me.  My email is redkommissar@hotmail.com and their contact information is posted on the website.

If anymore information arrives I will pass it along.  Hope to see you there, I?ll be there as post war 1970?s soviet.

-dave
Soviet Army - Cold War