This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Diabetes??  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Diabetes??
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:36:58 AM »
Well, here goes... I have been wondering why I have been thirsty all the time, yet having to constantly piss all the time too. I have been dizzy for last 2 weeks -- feeling like shite, ringing/popping ears, etc. Oh yeah, AND I've lost about 30lbs. since the first of the year -- but I've not been doing anything to lose the weight... interesting to have clothes falling off... but worrisome.

SO, I have been feeling crappy for a while now (weirdly crappy!) and finally called the doctor today -- Wow! They got me in today and... It seems my blood sugar thing was like 428 (they tell me that that's way high and I coulda been in the hospital ;-( ) So... now they have me on some meds and also have me checking the level 3 times a week. It was less tonite -- 327.

Anyway, I have to go back on the 31st of March and we'll see where we are. Some of it's just annoying.. I'm hungry, yet have a huge list of stuff I can't have. Some of it's scary... Where is this gonna go? Needles? That will surely mean I can't be driving a truck anymore if that happens... and just as I was considering getting out of management and going back to driving (much calmer and wayyyyy less stress-filled). If this happens, I don't know what I'll do -- like they say "When one door closes, another opens."

Just thought I'd share some of my day w/ you. Guess I'm not gonna die today... but, my doctor told me I'm not supposed to drive a truck w/ the blood sugar this high... he might even take my medical card... We'll see. As you can imagine, that part went, well... not so well w/ my boss. Well, life's grand ain't it? Always changing... I really am looking into a pet based business... Or, maybe I can get reenactor.Net to start doing what I want -- I dunno...
M.  yoy
P.S. Thanks to Trish for her advice. If anyone else out there can give me some advice about this, I'd sure appreciate it.
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
Re: Diabetes??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:13:55 AM »
Getting news like that can be a real stunner.  It sure was to me, back in '77 when I was in the Air Force.  I can tell you that you'll hear lots of horror stories about what the disorder can do to you.  And yeah, some of that stuff can happen if you completely disregard your condition.  The good news is, you can prevent a lot of it just by getting the know on how the damned stuff works, and respond accordingly.  It CAN be handled.  The best thing you can do for yourself is to see an endocrinologist that specializes in diabetes treatment.  --Seriously! These guys know what they're doing.  Your local doctor might be great at treating a cold or bruise, but diabetes treatment is generally out of their league.  The local G.P. might mean well, but you really need to get to the guys that KNOW.  It'll likely take some getting used to the idea that you've just joined the ranks of the largest growing disorder in America. ( Did you buy a lottery ticket yet?)  But once you get over the shock, find out the lay of the land, it can be negotiated.  Honest!
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline mdeanm

• Boot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »
Marsh, I to have Diabetes with diagnosis August 06, that is why I have lost over 40 lbs and don't eat chocolate :'( and now snack on rice cakes. If you take care of yourself you can live a long and productive life.  IF not, I have seen people who have lost their eye sight, have been on dialysis, at age 32, and other problems. If you haven't already get a glucose monitor and check your blood sugars, go to a nuturishist for a proper diet, mine is at 1200 calorie = 10 carb exchanges a day, this has helped me keep the blood sugars down within the normal range, with one pill in the evening.

Good luck and let me know how it's going.
Dean[color]

Offline tleve

• Reenactor
    • the living history alliance
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
hey marsh an other idea , IF and this is a big IF you do get put on needles , see if your insurance covers insliun pumps . mine is an Omnipod ( myomnipod.com ) it has no wires , runs on batteries , and the only kind of down side is that you need to learn to count carbs. you test your blood , enter how many carbs you are eating ( and you can eat almost anything . you can have one piece of cake but not the whole cake ) and the pod , which is programed by your Endo or the nurses/ dieticians who will work to get the right amount that will keep you in a normal range ( in the 100's ) . this is a wonderful thing it has made reenacting , and even daily events more easy to do. check out the site .

trish
" No Good Deed Goes Unpunished "

Offline FJR1

• Plebe
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
I was diagnosed typ 2  3 or 4 years ago.  Fortunately I don't have to take any medication on a regular basis, altho I have to take glipizide(?) any time I eat pizza or spagetti, and may not have to if I pay attention to what I'm doing.  Got to "try" to watch the calories, but much more important is to watch the Carbs closely!  I have also almost cut out drinking any sodas on a regular basis.  I no longer keep any in the refrigerator. 
IF you have typ 1 you will be in a whole different catagory so I very much hope they decide that you have typ 2!!!
Sarge

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:15:05 AM »
I too am taking Glipizide and also Metformin. For about the last week or more, my blood sugar has stayed around 150 and a bit lower. I have had some pizza, but my wife is watching what I eat. No sodas (except diet tea w/ no carb/sugar listed), no pasta right now. A small amount of bread (whole wheat). I dunno, I think I'm still losing weight. Sometimes (especially when I get mad or stressed) it's HARD not to eat...
 O/

It's interesting to look at the little panels on food and how much carbs the stuff has. I love the "portions" Ramen is great... basically HALF a "pad" of noodles. What a bunch of legalistic BS. Oh well... the lot ah've been dealt.
 @<>~

Anyway, I chose to work (for a friend no less  ???) at a job that basically messed my health all up from stress. Working and being on call 24/7/365 and on top of that, liable to go out on the road at any hour to cover if someone didn't show up. NO MORE. I am back to driving... no more BS calls in the middle of the night. Anyway, let's hope to get r.Net going in its new format (what you want a sneak preview?? I dunno. maybe).
Best, Marsh  yoy
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »
Marsh:  The new format looks promising! I've noticed how the forums have been tweaked appearancewise.  Looks good!  -- Can't say that I was unhappy with the way it had been, but this is nice!  Re. Diabetes:  It's true, stress can really throw a monkey wrench into blood glucose level control.  It sure throws my level off.  Anyway, I take it that you're not on the needle, hm?  That's good.  But if it should go that way for you, I can say at least for me, it hasn't been that big of a deal, having been on it since '76.  Guess it's just what you get used to......
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »
no needles. The new format (IF it works out) will replace ALL of reenactor.Net w/ a format that will be clearer and easier to update, etc.
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org