This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Anger, hatred and the reenacting way.  (Read 13126 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Re: Anger, hatred and the reenacting way.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »
Strumkaze, A boat,amazing.
Monk
Why? It brings me joy! ;D And... I have met very FEW a-holes in this new hobby. I still reenact, but it's not me life anymore... I have expanded and diversified!  ;)
Best, Marsh
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline atlanticwallblanks

• Trooper
    • Atlantic Wall Blanks
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
One thing that amazes me from the German stand point is how pretty everyone tries to look. We even try to look "good" for our impression.  A true 1944-1945 impression would have you in the worst quality uniform, almost no equipment and looking like hell. Yet we all go out trying to look like we are ready for a parade for the Chief of Staff.

I have done some things wrong out of haste, had it pointed out, was embarrassed about it, but learned.  The trick is two fold -  to listen to the advice and not take it personally - and second, when giving advice, don't be a jerk, try to be polite and explain why / what etc.  Don't push it on them, treat them like a wild cat at your door step.  Leave the information at the door in a bowl, if they want it they will take it, if you try to grab it and force it on them you are going to get your eyes clawed out.

Snickering about it to yourself then complaining about it on the internet is the lazy way out.  I have no respect for a keyboard commando.

Robb

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »
One thing that amazes me from the German stand point is how pretty everyone tries to look. We even try to look "good" for our impression.  A true 1944-1945 impression would have you in the worst quality uniform, almost no equipment and looking like hell. Yet we all go out trying to look like we are ready for a parade for the Chief of Staff.

I agree Robb. I have a ton of late-war photos from the Eastern Front and not one of them are looking pretty. I am amazed at the number of German reenactors who look like they just came out of training to reenact a late war event. If you try to be historically accurate then you are portrayed in a wrong light then lectured on how your impression is wrong. Lecturing just turns people off (especially Social Studies teachers!!!) from listening and I have also found that when you try to correct the wrong one's that it always leads to a large arguement unless you are friends.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/