This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: I'm confused  (Read 9747 times)

Offline Codybear

• Boot
I'm confused
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:58:29 AM »
What kind of rifles and where might I find them for revolutionary war reenactments.  Mind you I have a wife in college and 2 small children so I cant go too crazy but........Any leads appreciated.

Offline AdamB

• Boot
Re: I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:24:23 PM »
Hay Codybear,
  I am new to Rev Way reenacting too. But the Britsh Brown bess is a very good rifle to get as to were to get one I'm not too sure. I still need to get one my self.
Adam

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:42:04 AM »
Hey guys! Middlesex Village Trading Co. has imported Brown Bess muskets--plus a whole lot more firearm goodies, at just about the best prices I've seen in quite a while.  The quality is at least as good , if not better, as the Jap made Besses, and the price isn"t unreasonable.  Check out their website.  You'll like what you see.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:19:06 AM by Sturmkatze »
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.  I was kinda figuring on a brown bess but after seeing some of the prices, i was gonna have to shop around but i hadnt seen that site yet so i'll check it out. 

Offline groomporter

• Trooper
    • MacGregor Historic Games
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »
Just to warn you so you don't get teased on for using the wrong term by the anal-hyphen-retentive  ;)  You're not looking for a "rifle", but a rather a "musket" since flintlock muskets at that time were not yet "rifled".  ;D
Andrew MacGregor (aka Charles Knutson)
MacGregor Historic Games
Captain (ret.) Col. Gaffney's Regt of Foote

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »
appreciate it.  So thats the difference.  We had a big debate at work the other night on the difference and we never did end up agreeing.  so approx what time did the barrels have rifling.  Thanks again.

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:58:50 AM »
Most military guns didn't have rifling until the mid-NINETEENTH century. For RevWar, really, you just need to start socking some $$ away and look. If you're in a unit, most have sources for them. For that matter, you could prob find a used one cheaply (I did-$200.). Reenacting AIN'T cheap! Take your time, do it right, don't get in a rush. JOIN a unit first -- most have loaner gear.
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Rockman

• Trooper
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »
Roger that!  Joining up with a unit first, will be a big help.  Most units are very acommodatring & genuinely glad to help get you started.
Howdy there!  I'm Oedipus Tex! --You may have heard of my brother Rex....

Offline Sterling

• Trooper
  • An eye fer an eye
    • Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »
Take your time, do it right, don't get in a rush. JOIN a unit first -- most have loaner gear.

Must agree here.  Find your unit first... as there were quite a few rifle men out and about during the Rev. War.  Rifle meaning a gun with a rifled barrel (grove or series of groves cut into the interior of the barrel) as compared to a musket which was a smooth bore....
Sterling

Offline Codybear

• Boot
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »
Actually i might have gotten the cart ahead of the horse.  I will have to look in my area to see what is available.  Possibly it will be F&I war, etc.  I will be atttending an event in Lafayette, IN in a few weeks so I will see how it goes.  At any rate, i find all of it facinating and being an avid outdoorsman, it gives me another dimension to enjoy the outdoors.  Any good links, books, gear recomendations etc. always appreciated.  thanks everybody

Offline Sterling

• Trooper
  • An eye fer an eye
    • Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 06:27:53 PM »
Actually i might have gotten the cart ahead of the horse.  I will have to look in my area to see what is available.  Possibly it will be F&I war, etc.  I will be atttending an event in Lafayette, IN in a few weeks so I will see how it goes.  At any rate, i find all of it facinating and being an avid outdoorsman, it gives me another dimension to enjoy the outdoors.  Any good links, books, gear recomendations etc. always appreciated.  thanks everybody

Well if you ever take an interest in early 18th century/late 17th, whether civilian, pirate or privateer,(historical not fantasy) pm me, as me and mine may just have something that will appeal to you.

Sterling
Capt. Crewe of the Archangel
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:30:18 PM by Sterling »
Sterling

Offline owl

• Boot
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
Don't Don't Don't spend any money until you have done the minimum research into what era, persona etc. you find yourself attracted to. Go online, visit this site and ask questions often. You might also look at HistoricalTrekking.com, FrontierFolkForum. Muzzleloader magazine, On The Trail magazine, Muzzleblasts Magazine are very helpful. Most of all don't take yourself or others to seriously, Have fun!