This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Good Morning!  (Read 10488 times)

Offline deforge

• Boot
Good Morning!
« on: October 20, 2007, 10:17:52 AM »
Hi all.. My name is Dennis Miles and I am in Western Ohio.  I am a Bladesmith by trade. Just found this place and it looks likely. I am a member of the AMM , own Double Edge Forge and spend as much time as I can out and about in the woods.. Pleased to meet 'cha

Offline monk

• Plebe
  • Wo Euer Schatz Ist,Da Auch Ist Euer Herz
    • Frederick County Landmarks Foundation/Schifferstadt
Re: Good Morning!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:03:20 AM »
Hello back from Frederick MD. Wilkommen to the zoo,lol :)

Offline Bonnie aka blnzrfn

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:29:51 AM »
Good morning everyone!!!!!
"as seen in Smoke and Fire News ; www.smoke-fire.com"

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:03:53 PM »
 ;DWoW!! Great to hear from someone.  Western Ohio?  I'm in Northwest Ohio (45 min. from Fort Wayne)  didn't think anyone could be any farther west than us, and still be in Ohio!!!
the flamingos are my minions.

Offline deforge

• Boot
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 01:08:18 PM »
Whereabouts in NW Ohio?

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Defiance, Ohio.   Used to live in Continental, Ohio.  My directions always stated that you drive to the middle of nowhere (Defiance) turn left, go another 20 min. and there you are in Continental.  Now I guess I just live in the middle of nowhere.
It's really hard for me since I'm originally from Michigan.  Love makes us do stupid things...like move to flat parts of the country...do time periods one never had an interest in before... things like that ;D

Offline deforge

• Boot
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:58:32 PM »
Defiance, Ohio.   

I am about 6 miles NW of New Madison, in Darke Co. 

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »
Just checked out where you are on the map.  Are you SURE you're not in Indiana?  I conceed, I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere :D....  So, do you do trekking, or a particular time period?
I mainly do Rev. war, 18th c. civilian (we've started a silhouette cutting business) and we do war of 1812 for play time... husband can't get enough of the artillery :laugh:

Offline deforge

• Boot
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »
I mainly do 1805, based right here in Ohio. As a member of the AMM we portray mountain men or the men that would be heading West, transitional, you might say. I get in the woods as much as possible, I do set up in the 18thC for some events that require the time period, F&I as well. The shop keeps me hoppin most of the time. 18 yrs full time in front of an anvil.

Offline Bonnie aka blnzrfn

• Time Area Webmasters
  • Reenactor
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
Welcome deforge!! ;D
"as seen in Smoke and Fire News ; www.smoke-fire.com"

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »
You pretty much do some Lewis and Clark stuff huh?  don't you find it hard to do an "off beat" time period (non-military)? With 18 yrs experience with the forge, do you do modern blacksmithing, too?  Have you ever gotten into the farriering thing ?  I think trekking would be fun, but just not my cup of tea.  Maybe 20 years ago...now I feel achy when I get up off a nice bedroll at an event.  Always know your limitations, if you overextend yourself, you may loose out on future good times, so I am contented to play the wife of an artist with its comfortable perks :)

Offline deforge

• Boot
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:52:48 AM »
Not so much L&C as a fella my age (47 and getting older) on the frontier in 1805. I don't do any farrier work, the closest I come to shoeing a horse of one is annoying me.. SHOO HORSE! :laugh: And the last time I saw the underside of a mule hoof, he was steppin on me. I used to "trek" allot more than now. Spent 2 1/2 weeks with a pard in the Southfork several years ago and a bunch of times for a week or so in different wilderness areas. But the knees are near shot now and walking up and down hills has lost it's fascination.. So ,y "trekkin" nowadays pretty much consists of the AMM walk in camps.

D
www.bright.net/~deforge1

Offline Flamingos.r.us.

• Plebe
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Think you might make it to Locust Grove this weekend?  It's located in Louisville, Ky.  It's an 18th century Fair with all sorts of vendors(so I'm told), and we are one of them.  Terry does "Mistress Jones' Shadow Cuts" doing individuals silhouettes but also generic ones as well, such as Washington, Jefferson and the likes.
The BAR is the military affiliates for the event.  Some kind of military demos, that sort of thing.  This is only their third year, and Greg Hudson from Weeping Heart Trade co.  has it as his baby.  If you do blacksmithing, it may be worth the trip for you to scope it out this year and sign on for next year.  Greg says there are big plans in the wind for the next few years (Grand encampments?) and that it's only going to get bigger.  I hope you consider going.

Offline deforge

• Boot
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Sounds like a likely doins but I will be hidin in the woods with my bow, trying to start to refill the freezer. I will look into it though. I do like going out this time of year and peddle a few knives...