This site is Gunny Approved

Hessen Antique (aff)

Author Topic: East Front events  (Read 31903 times)

Offline FJR1

• Plebe
Re: East Front events
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 04:03:21 AM »
Something I haven't seen mentioned here is partisans.  This is a very enexpensive impression to do and a good way to get the GI or Brit into Ost Front Battles.  As time goes by many will eventually go the uniformed russian route since they already have the right rifle.
We have some Germans who do either russian or partisan, but I do my best to discourage it in my unit simply because it deplets the German ranks.
Another thing that I think helps is to use the same weekend/month for your Ost Front Battle every year.  Ours is always Presidents Day weekend - 3.weekend in Feb.  It does help some to get people to plan for it as they always know when it is far in advance.
We always have snow when we use our mountain battle area.  When we use Ft Carson training area - nice big bridge over a large dry creek bed to fight for - we never have snow so we rotate every other year.  We were in the mountains last weekend and had lots of snow. 

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
To have more partisans than Red soldiers would probably not be looked upon to well. The Russian kit is still cheap enough to put together and be done right from the start. Just need to research to see what would be correct. East Front needs to get out more often since everyone plays hard.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Rats

• Boot
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 02:22:16 AM »
New here but had to chime in.... Especially since I'm just starting with my soviet impression and see some advantages.

Having run the gambit from Sillywar to WWII GI, I find that a good and inexpensive change is to actually go Soviet. It's cheap and it offers a change from the typical GI impression (especially after 10 years in the infantry). Now I have also been tryinig to push a Soviet partisan or even Polish resistance impression on my friends who are still very active with Sillywar and are not willing to shave to a military standard. There were even Russian, anti-soviet colaborators or "Partisan Hunters" who helped the Germans. This could be an interestig twist which could really throw a wrench into the friendly fire issue. And if needed, it could also bulster the German numbers if too many russians arrive at a single event.

JMHO
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:24:59 AM by Rats »

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »
And if needed, it could also bulster the German numbers if too many russians arrive at a single event.

From what I have seen the Germans do not need to worry about numbers. It's the Russians and other East Front Allies (Romania and Bulgaria for example thought 44-4 only) who need to get the numbers up and show in force. It also seems that the Russians also have issues with units as well amongst themselves. Need to move on past the adolescant mentality and remember we are all adults. As for the impressions Russian, Romanian and Bulgarian can be done right and for less than US, UK, and German. Of course 1940 is short of units as well.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 12:15:36 AM »
The Russians DO have issues -- most of which seem to stem from them being old Silly War reenactors moving to WWII and bringing a lot of baggage with them 0|

And there does seem to be a lot of weird mentalities that we have to deal with. 'Tis sad... and it's why many of us have sort of slowed our approach to it. ;-(

Too often, the "adults" forget it's a HOBBY, it's meant to be FUN! D'OH!
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
That is what I have heard but also issues with the guys coming directly into WWII Soviet brand new. They meet certain people and they get turned off by them. I try to make friends with everyone I have met (unless you turn out to be totally in the wrong behavior and belief wise) to meet new people, get new information and to make connections to send people to make the hobby grow.

For those who are thinking of doing East Front events (which I highly support making more events of this part of the war available) there are now several cheaper options. Of course Soviet and partisan but there is now Romanian, Hungarian (John is POC), Bulgarian (Rick Keister can help with this impression), Polish (Red Army Ally and the PLHA can help with this) as well (Yes, I know the Italians and Slovaks were there but no truely East Front units out there from what I have seen). A lot of people seem to  have kits/impressions but due to not liking a certain group or individual do not come out. I feel that we are beyond this school yard mentality and are able to realize that yes we do not like so and so but are willing to work with them at events plus have a good time.

Now, how do we get more people involved with East Front reenacting? That was the original question.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Hessen Antique (aff)